We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursions to the Mainland

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
399 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Excursions to the Mainland

We'll be spending two weeks in Belize the last half of February. The original plan was to spend the first five nights at one lodging on Ambergris Caye with two nights off island in San Ignacio to tour a couple of ruins, then returning to Ambergris for the last seven nights of the trip. My lodging on Ambergris is already booked, but I haven't done any booking for the two off-island nights in San Ignacio and the transportation and trips. I'm now wondering if it wouldn't be just as economical and easier to spend the entire two weeks on Ambergris Caye and schedule any ruin excursions as long day trips from the island. I planned on taking the water taxi to and from Belize City, hiring a shuttle/taxi to and from San Ignacio, spending two nights at a hotel in San Ignacio, then booking tours from San Ignacio to one of the ruins and maybe another point of interest. Now I'm second guessing after reading about the ease of booking long day trips from the island. It seems like a lot of trouble to drag all the bags to and from when we could just take a couple of long day tours and stay put on the island. Has anyone every done the math comparing the costs? Any recommendations on which way to go?

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excursions to the Mainland

its really a preference with the obvious variables to consider but if you only want to do a couple of tours staying on AC could work. A week on the mainland will allow better mainland tour access and a variety of scenery. 2 weeks on AC might be too long. look things over on gmaps and you tube. going from AC to the mainland and back to AC would be.....silly.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
7,666 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Excursions to the Mainland

Tropic Air flies between San Pedro & Belmopan if that's any help. Check their website for schedules & fares.

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
399 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excursions to the Mainland

Our idea of a good vacation is relaxation, so two weeks on Ambergris Caye is not a stretch. We just got back from spending a month on a smaller island. I'm now leaning towards booking the other two nights on Ambergris and setting up a couple of long day tours when we get there. We can do Caye Caulker at least once on our own, and my husband wants to do a couple of dives and some fishing. By the way, can you fish off docks and piers on Ambergris?

Mentioned in this post
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker
2,451 Reviews
Caye Caulker, Belize
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,168 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excursions to the Mainland

Considering that next week I'm heading to Ambergris for three months, two weeks doesn't sound too long at all.....

There are some docks that don't allow fishing. One owned by resorts that are trying to attract fish to artificial reefs, for example.

I think unless you have the mainland part of your trip at the beginning or end, you'll be just as happy doing day trips from the island.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excursions to the Mainland

What about doing the other two days somewhere further north like Tranquility Bay where you can kick back and relax. They have a great beach area and it is really pretty that far north [about 13 miles].

Mentioned in this post
Tranquility Bay Resort
Tranquility Bay Resort
476 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
399 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excursions to the Mainland

Thanks Jean. I think one of the places where we're staying has an artificial reef. Tacogirl, that sounds like a great idea! Unfortunately, I think those places are out of our budget range. I checked out a few, including one that advertised a special of $99 (which ended up being $225 and up in February). Shoot! We also might consider taking the water taxi over to Caye Caulker for a couple of nights.

Mentioned in this post
Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker
2,451 Reviews
Caye Caulker, Belize
7. Re: Excursions to the Mainland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2013, 10:20