We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking about scratching Tikal...are we crazy?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
175 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking about scratching Tikal...are we crazy?

Hi All,

We are heading to Belize and Guatemala for spring break with our 9 & 11 year old daughters. We are currently planning on 4 nights Ambergris Caye, 1 night Tikal and 5 nights in Antigua to catch the end of Holy Week celebrations. The flight times to Flores aren't great and the same out of Flores to GC. I'm thinking that 4 nights...basically 3 days in AC isn't go to be enough ocean, pool & chill time for the family, so am now thinking about staying an extra night in AC, which means no Tikal. We have already paid for our non-refundable hotel in Antigua, so shortening that side of the trip is not an option. Wondering what you all think about days trips (Lamanai and such) out of Belize instead of Tikal. I know Tikal is the grand daddy of ruins, but my girls love the water and I know are not going to want to leave it! Thank You!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,350 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking about scratching Tikal...are we crazy?

The trip from Ambergris to Lamanai is awesome. But, it also takes almost 12 hours. Long day for kids. You can shorten it considerably by flying with Tropic, but, I'm guessing it's expensive. Besides, I think the 26 mile trip up the river to be one of the highlights of the trip.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,538 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking about scratching Tikal...are we crazy?

I'd see how it goes - if you don't want to spend a looooong day away from the water, catch ruins on another trip. If you do, Lamanai is a great choice, especially because of the boat trip and because you can climb the temples.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking about scratching Tikal...are we crazy?

An extra day of sun sand and sea is always good especially if your girls love the water.

Not sure where you are staying but many places have decent snorkeling around their docks, Ramons and Caribbean Villas to name a couple.

Also kids sailing on Sunday mornings at Caribbean Villas with the San Pedro Sailing Club.

4. Re: Thinking about scratching Tikal...are we crazy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2013, 10:29