We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Belize: A few Questions

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip to Belize: A few Questions

Hello All, First off thanks so much for all the great info people have posted here; it has been extremely helpful. We are planning a honeymoon in Belize in May and have a few questions. We plan on staying at The Phoenix but we have not secured a room just yet; so our dates may change. Anyway, this is our first trip to Belize and actually our first trip out of the U.S. so we are really excited. We're hoping the great people on this forum could answer a few of these questions and provide any more info they think might be helpful.

1) What are the prices like at the local bars and restaurants. I'm thinking dinner and drinks (mostly beer).

2) What is the best way to book an excursion? We are thinking two excursions with Tanisha. One day trip to Lamanai and another for cave tubing and the zoo. We also are thinking about the Hol Chan/Caye Caulker snorkling trip with Seaduced. Should we just wait until we get there to book these? Should we do it ourselves; would Phoenix book it for us? Should we let Phoenix book it for us?

3) We plan on arriving late morning and decided to take a water taxi to A/C to save some money. Is it commmon for hotels to have someone take their guests to the water taxi terminal from the airport and arrange a water taxi for them? If not, should we book ahead or just go to the water taxi terminal and get a ride?

4) How far from Phoenix would a water taxi be able to drop us off? Will we be carrying all our luggage around walking to the resort?

5) Is Commonwealth Day a good time to be in Belize? What I mean is, will everything be closed, will it be a big party, or just a normal day?

6) Do most bars/restaurants take credit cards? What about tour complanies? Are ATMs generally available on A/C? Any suggestions on how much cash to carry/not carry?

That's all I can think of right now. Thanks in advance for any help you can give and thanks again for everyone on the board posting up such good information. We can't wait to post a trip report!!!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to Belize: A few Questions

1) they vary

2) book with them when you get there

3) take a taxi

6) bring cash and use ATM's

7) take OCD meds

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,674 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to Belize: A few Questions

As Katzgar so succinctly put it, prices are all over the place. You can have an excellent meal of street food for US$5.00. Or, you can go to a high end restaurant and pay US$50.00. Lots of places in the middle as well. As you might expect, prices at resorts will be higher.

A bottle of Belikin is about US$2-2.50 a bottle at the local places. More at resorts. Local rum drinks are about the same. Many bars have happy hours where you can get simple rum drinks for US$1.50.

Last I knew Tanisha didn't deal with any hotels/resorts. You could ask at the Phoenix if they do, otherwise, just stop in at Hurricane's and book there. Hurricane's is just south of downtown on a dock. Good food. You can often save money by booking yourselves. Your hotel will probably get a commission for doing the booking. Also, pay cash if possible, there's usually a pretty substantial cash discount.

You will need to take a cab from BZE to the water taxi terminal. Cost is US$25.-30.00. I think there are two companies water taxi companies in the same area.

Lots of information on this site: http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

If you take the Caye Caulker Water Taxi, it's drop off point on Ambergris is about two blocks from the Phoenix. The other two companies are a bit further. There will likely be cabs waiting.

I don't know a thing about Commonweath Day.

Most of the sit down restaurants will take credit cards. There are lots of ATM's. They do sometimes run out of cash towards the end of the weekends, stock up on Friday. We generally don't carry much more cash than we think we'll need for a day.

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to Belize: A few Questions

Thanks a lot for the info!!!!!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to Belize: A few Questions

Commonwealth Day is a bank holiday, but will not affect you

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip to Belize: A few Questions

Commonwealth Day is not a holiday in any sense except schools get a day off and possible civil servants, I have never noticed.. We are a tourist country, we don't even close for Christmas. I would definitley book tours direct, it will be very easy, and you will save, Phoenix being er hmm expensive...good choice though.

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip to Belize: A few Questions

Thanks Belizequeen....yah Phoenix is pretty pricey but you only live once right? :-)

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Trip to Belize: A few Questions

Just a word of caution about the water taxi...do either of you get seasick? if so, you might consider taking a 15 minute Tropic Air hop, instead of the hour or more water taxi. Also, there are spectacular views all along the flight. I would think this would be a fabulous way to complete your trip, rather than to deplane at the airport, schlep your luggage into a cab, drive over to the terminal, schlep again, ride the water taxi, get off at the terminal, then schlep again into a taxi, and finally to the Phoenix. I would suggest a compromise... fly over to begin your honeymoon,, check out the water taxi situation and take it on your return if it looks like a good option for you.

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Trip to Belize: A few Questions

Thanks for the reply. The people at The Phoenix highly suggested the flight as well. I think we're going to do that. The time you save and the view seems to be worth the extra money.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Trip to Belize: A few Questions

You're welcome. As you said.....you only live once:)

Covington...
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Trip to Belize: A few Questions

do you need to book the flight from Belize City to San Pedro ahead of time or can you do it at the time you arrive?