Hello All, First off thanks so much for all the great info people have posted here; it has been extremely helpful. We are planning a honeymoon in Belize in May and have a few questions. We plan on staying at The Phoenix but we have not secured a room just yet; so our dates may change. Anyway, this is our first trip to Belize and actually our first trip out of the U.S. so we are really excited. We're hoping the great people on this forum could answer a few of these questions and provide any more info they think might be helpful.
1) What are the prices like at the local bars and restaurants. I'm thinking dinner and drinks (mostly beer).
2) What is the best way to book an excursion? We are thinking two excursions with Tanisha. One day trip to Lamanai and another for cave tubing and the zoo. We also are thinking about the Hol Chan/Caye Caulker snorkling trip with Seaduced. Should we just wait until we get there to book these? Should we do it ourselves; would Phoenix book it for us? Should we let Phoenix book it for us?
3) We plan on arriving late morning and decided to take a water taxi to A/C to save some money. Is it commmon for hotels to have someone take their guests to the water taxi terminal from the airport and arrange a water taxi for them? If not, should we book ahead or just go to the water taxi terminal and get a ride?
4) How far from Phoenix would a water taxi be able to drop us off? Will we be carrying all our luggage around walking to the resort?
5) Is Commonwealth Day a good time to be in Belize? What I mean is, will everything be closed, will it be a big party, or just a normal day?
6) Do most bars/restaurants take credit cards? What about tour complanies? Are ATMs generally available on A/C? Any suggestions on how much cash to carry/not carry?
That's all I can think of right now. Thanks in advance for any help you can give and thanks again for everyone on the board posting up such good information. We can't wait to post a trip report!!!