We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for New Travellers to Belize

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
434 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Questions for New Travellers to Belize

Now that flights have been released by Amercian Airlines for January 2013, we can start to put a plan together. Travelling from Scotland, so not the easiest place to get to but looks wonderful.

Keen for any expert advice on length of stays/accommodation etc.

Planned on staying on Ambergris Caye for first 7 nights. Accommodation we have chosen is Mata Rocks. Appears to be about 1 mile out of the centre which is perfect but not sure about walking home at night. Is it safe enough to do that? If it means getting a taxi home are we better staying somewhere else? Really picked it for its convenient and price range.

We had then planned on going to Caye Caulker for 6 nights - Iguana Reef, Seaside Cabanas, Ocean View, Casa Amancer are all on our favourites list. All got good reviews on Trip Advisor. Just can't decide. Any comments to help us decide?

Also wondering if we are maybe spending too long on Ambergris which seems a bit busier and whether should extend the Caulker side of things.

We had not planned on flights from Belize to Ambergris or Caulker back to Belize but thought ferry/water taxi would be a cheaper bet bearing in mind we are already paying for Edinburgh to London to Miaimi to Belize. Assuming transport very reliable.

Comments and suggestions welcome :)

Dot, Edinburgh

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions for New Travellers to Belize

You might want to consider dividing your trip into inland and island for some variety - jungle, ruins experiences as well as beach.

Just a thought.

Springfield, MA
Level Contributor
26 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions for New Travellers to Belize

Ambergris and Caye Caulker are certainly different - Ambergris being your Edinborough and Caye Caulker being quaint little, yet still town.... But they are right next to each other and would offer the same activities.

What are you looking for? If it's hanging around a beach - you probably have the wrong district in Belize. If it's snorkeling and scuba - this is your spot.

I also would recommend that you spend some time inland. I just got back from 4 nights in Cayo (mystic river) and 3 nights in San Pedro (Ramon's). Honestly I wished I had split it 5 and 2. While I enjoy scuba and snorkel - the inland portion was so great that I wished I had more time there.

Good luck

Oh and on the flights vs water taxi - after flying all the way from Scotland - the last thing you will want to probably do is deal with the hassle of getting a cab, going to the water taxis, and then take a water taxi to Ambergris. You should probably at least take the flight over to the Caye and then decide for the way back.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions for New Travellers to Belize

FAR too much time on the Cayes unless you are dedicated snorklers and partyers. San Pedro is much more like Blackpool than Edinburgh. A lot of people truly love it, and it does have close by snorkling (although the coral in the south of Belize is much prettier) and some truly lovely upscale resorts. Also a wide choice of accommodation.

I would suggest you hang out here for a bit and see what options there are elsewhere, you should consider planning to spend at least half of your time inland, which is where Belize is at her best.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
434 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions for New Travellers to Belize

Many thanks for your comments. Latest plan is we will visit Placencia for 7 nights. We were then thinking of heading to Caye Caulker as Ambergris does seem a bit too lively. Not into hiking, tubing etc. Snorkelling is more our thing. Small villages with nice restaurants and a bar is enough. We visited Holbox in Mexico this year and looking for something similar. LIke to have a walk along the beach, cycle etc. Maybe we should forget the cayes and try somewhere else??

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions for New Travellers to Belize

San Pedro is a very small town you need to look at CC and AC on gmaps. You will need to be on a caye if snorkeling is your goal.

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions for New Travellers to Belize

An island tropical paradise facing the turquoise waters of the gorgeous Caribbean Sea within easy reach of an amazing coral reef teeming with sea life is like Blackpool? Seriously?

Base your decision to visit Ambergris on any criteria you like but, imo, you can completely disregard that comparison.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,715 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions for New Travellers to Belize

I'm telling ya, if you want a beach, you want Ambergris, rather than Caulker......

The only beach is at the Split. Nice bar, but, can get very loud at times.

If you don't want busy on Ambergris, just don't stay right in town.....

Edited: 26 February 2012, 21:27
Springfield, MA
Level Contributor
26 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions for New Travellers to Belize

If you have that much time, you can split between San Pedro and Caye Caulker - two to three nights at each...

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
434 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions for New Travellers to Belize

Rather than travel about from place to place we would rather stay in two places. We are doing so much travelling to get there from Scotland, we don't really want to spend two weeks travelling around - even though there's lots to see. Definitely want lovely beach, and snorkelling. Thinking Placencia (Maya Beach Hotel) for 7 nights (bearing in mind we are in Miami overnight) and then still trying to decide between Ambergris (Mata Rocks) and Caye Caulker (Seaside Cabanas). They both look great. Ambergris - happy being further from the centre if it is busier and happy to cycle back at night. Booking the filghts tonight. Accommodation - I think we are both agreed the hotels we want to stay in but still swithering between CC and SP!

East Bernard, Texas
Level Contributor
147 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions for New Travellers to Belize

We stayed @ Coco Beach on Ambergris Caye in June 2010, & visited Caye Caulker one day - basically for lunch after a morning of fishing & before an afternoon of snorkeling. Didn't find Ambergris Caye "too busy" at all. Took a golf cart from the resort to town 1 day, & it was actually a nice adventure. Didn't party in town @ night - there were enough places to eat & entertain ourselves close to the resort. The evening walks along the beach on our way to dinner were very romantic! Had reservations for dinner 1 evening in town, but ended up canceling b/c the beach BBQ & jazz band @ the resort were so appealing!