We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Input on accommodations please

Indy
Level Contributor
980 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Input on accommodations please

I am trying to plan our first trip to Belize. We will be staying 7-8 nights the first of December. I am thinking about flying into Belize City and taking a water taxi to Ambergris Caye. Spending 3-4 nights there and the the remaining 3-4 nights on Caulker Caye. Then taking the flight from Caulker Caye back to Belize City Airport.

We would like to stay somewhere on the beach, fairly close to town, with a pool for around $150/nt. So far I am leaning toward White Sands Cove on Ambergris and Cabanas Caulker on Caulker. Anyone familiar with these and have any opinions or suggestions?

Thanks

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Input on accommodations please

did you look at the reviews for the propertys? You might look at a place on the mainland as caulker and ambergris are similar enough to not warrant a special trip.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,507 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Input on accommodations please

I don't really consider White Sands Cove as being that close to town. It's far enough that you'll either need to take a water taxi or rent a golf cart.

Easier access north of the bridge would be from Landings at Tres Cocos. You'll be a bit more than a mile north of downtown from there.

Or, stay south of town. Caribbean Villas and Coral Bay Villas (I own a unit there) are both about a mile south of town. We walk to and from town all the time, although we walk the street, not the beach, after dark. Cab rides are cheap as well, US$5.00 one way.

I don't spend as much time on Caulker, although we spend a night or two there every year. We've always just stayed in fairly cheap, regular hotel rooms, so can't help much with your choice there.

If you aren't interested in what the mainland has to offer, I think Caulker and Ambergris are different enough to have an enjoyable time spending a few days on each.

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
560 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Input on accommodations please

I like Seaside Cabananas on Caulker, and agree with Jean that Caribbean Villas could be a good choice for you here. On the mainland you might want to check out Hopkins (try Hopkins Inn) or Placencia (consider Ranguana). These places are all close to your budget and all within walking distance to town/village, which is essential when keeping a budget in mind.

Indy
Level Contributor
980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Input on accommodations please

Jeanh,

Thanks for the information.

I did look at reviews but it's hard to get a good feel for the location. Coral Bay Villas and Landings at Tres Cocos both look very nice. Is there much difference between the 2 locations (north vs, south). I'm not sure but I thought I read somewhere that the south beaches are nicer.

I'm not really interested in the mainland this trip, maybe for a later trip.

Thanks again.

Edited: 16 April 2012, 19:37
Indy
Level Contributor
980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Input on accommodations please

MalibuStace,

I was posting at the same time. Thanks for the input as well. I have seen a lot of recommendations for Placencia. Maybe I need to reconsider.

Thanks,

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,507 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Input on accommodations please

You'll have to cross the bridge to get from Tres Cocos to town. Although the condos there are nice, there is a sea wall, no walk in swimming to the ocean.

Obviously, I'm biased towards the area south of town. I live there part of the year. The beach is definitely prettier in front of Coral Bay. Although, there is sea grass in the water, and most ocean swimming is done off the dock next door at Caribbean Villas. This is true for most places on Ambergris.

Placencia has walk in swimming. Pretty beaches, but darker, coarser sand. And, at least when I've been there, the water hasn't been that pretty shade of Caribbean blue.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,547 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Input on accommodations please

Caribbean Villas has a nice stretch of beach and a cool beach bar.

If you end up on Caye Caulker a golf cart taxi ride around the island is fun, ask cab driver to show you cool things.

You could always consider a day trip there over staying, but I could see staying some time here to unwind and then to really kick back and relax going over there as it is even more laid back.

Indy
Level Contributor
980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Input on accommodations please

tacogirl,

Thanks for the advice. As I do more research I am starting to think 3-4 nights on Caye Caulker may be too much. I definitely want to spend a night or two there though.

Are Caribbean Villas and Coral Bay Villas right next to each other? I see they are next to each other on the map but I can't tell how close they are too each other.

Thanks

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,507 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Input on accommodations please

Yes, they are next door to each other. Actually, there is a house, which sits back from the beach in between (it was originally part of Caribbean Villas).

Coral Bay doesn't have a dock, guests there use the dock at Caribbean Villas.

alaska
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Input on accommodations please

Im also looking for a 3 bedroom unit with pool and next to beach, any ideas?

Get answers to your questions about Ambergris Caye
Recent Conversations