We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in 1 hotel or multiple?

sureleeey
7 posts
Save Topic
10 days in 1 hotel or multiple?

I'm planning a 10 day stay in Belize. My boyfriend prefers to be by the beach all 10 days whereas I prefer to have beach time and mixed in with adventure time (tours, hiking, mayan ruins, etc.)

If we stayed all 10 days at Ambergris Caye, is it feasible to do what I want to do as day trips? Or does it make more sense to stay a few days at Ambergris Caye and a few days elsewhere?

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in 1 hotel or multiple?

It is cheaper to stay in Cayo for a few days and do the inland stuff from there. Then make the last half Ambnergris for down time. Many things to do in Cayo!

santa elena cayo...
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in 1 hotel or multiple?

Stay at a river side resort in the Cayo area, then your boy friend can have fun in the water while seeing the inland sites.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in 1 hotel or multiple?

If you decide to do all 10 days at Ambergris Caye, you can do most of the tours right from here by boat. Working out which tours you want to do will help you decide.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
431 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days in 1 hotel or multiple?

10 days is a long time on the small island. I would do at least 2 nights on the mainland. I rented a car once and drove the country which was pretty cool.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days in 1 hotel or multiple?

I agree with Auddy, and usually tell my friends that 2 nights is more than enough on a small caye, although they like more adventure and open spaces. You might want to spend up to half your time there just relaxing.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days in 1 hotel or multiple?

I would be bored spending 10 days on AC, and it is a long way from jungle adventures (2 hours plus travel absolute minimum by boat/road). It is however good for diving and snorkling as well as probably having the best night life etc. Definitely split your time up, inland adventure can be cave tubing, kayaking, waterfall rapelling etc, which might satisfy your boyfrined water lust!

Consider Toledo as well as Cayo, in fact in Toledo and Placencia you can mix and match sea and inland adventure very easily.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days in 1 hotel or multiple?

I just got back from 2 weeks in Belize...with my family of 5...splitting my time bw Placencia, Ambergris Caye, and San Ignacio...and although being on AC was awesome...should you want to really enjoy Belize via excursions inland you will waste precious time and money simply in travel time getting anywhere...

Full day tours from AC would be half day tours elsewhere and with the cost of some excursions and the precious time we have for vacations it simply didnt make sense to travel inland from AC...

On AC you can snorkel Hol Chan and Shark Alley and you can go to San Pedro for a half day trip to schmooze and enjoy the town...personally, while i was on AC all i did was snorkel and enjoy the resort as SP didnt entice me...

While in Placencia or Hopkins you could rent a car for a day or two and explore local interests as well as also veg out on awesome beaches...

San Ignacio is def worth a visit...and you can zip and cave tube both coming and going or double up and do at same time...albeit heads up about cruise folks so i suggest early arrivals at both...

I would suggest spending 5 days on AC and 5 days inland at either SI or Placencia or Hopkins to get the real flavor of Belize...as both Hopkins and Placencia have excellent beaches...

8. Re: 10 days in 1 hotel or multiple?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 14:42