We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this rather a destination for young or middle aged people

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
21 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Is this rather a destination for young or middle aged people

I'm setting up and adventure trip in Guatemala. The travel agency has proposed to spend the last days of our trip in Ambergris (never heard about it before). I wondered what is the best description? IS it a place for young people to party or is it a place with large hotels and more dedicated on the middle aged ?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this rather a destination for young or middle aged people

Hi SooLux,

Ambergris is a great destination and you don't have to worry about Spring Break type crowds. It's certainly nothing like the Mexico resort towns of Cancun. All of the hotels in Belize are smaller boutique properties and they don't attract the all-inclusive booze drinking travelers. If that's what you want head to Mexico!

As for age, it is a place that offers something for both young adults, middle aged adults, families and honeymooners. The common link is having interests such as enjoying water activities (snorkeling, kayaking, sailing, fishing), eating fresh food at mom/pop local restaurants and taking in the casual sounds of Caribbean music.

Personally, I think your travel agent has made a very good recommendation that is worthy of consideration.

Have a great vacation!

Jim Bendt, Owner - Travel Beyond

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this rather a destination for young or middle aged people

Agreed kimojim - all ages here and you can be as laid back or in party mode as you like.

Ambergris is a fun and unique place soolux.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this rather a destination for young or middle aged people

AC is a dive/snorkel destination with a lot of others too. you get a feel for the place on gmaps.

Edited: 08 May 2012, 14:23
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this rather a destination for young or middle aged people

What's your itinerary in Guatemala? If it's totally mellow, you might be a little overwhelmed when you get to AC. You're guaranteed to have a good time, of course.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this rather a destination for young or middle aged people

The closer to SP the younger it might be...but that is hard call...If you want to totally unplug from your regular life of work, cell fones, iphones, etc...Tranquility Bay is my choice whether you are 20, 50, or 70...it is very relaxing and i strongly suggest it unless you need action and do not know how to unwind, let go, and relax...but what a great place to learn!

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this rather a destination for young or middle aged people

There are staid young people and wild old ones. It is really more a question of what you like. Personally I find AC too busy for my taste, you TA has recommended it likely because he or she doesn't know any other place in Belize to suggest - it is our major destination. It might be entirely to your taste or not. Other places to consider are Caye Cauler, Hopkins, Placencia and of course inland, although having come from an adventure trip that probably isn't what you are looking for.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this rather a destination for young or middle aged people

Ambergris Caye is a place for people to party, but the younger crowd seems to gravitate more to Caye Caulker - the island "next door." Have your travel agent look into it. www.gocayecaulker.com

8. Re: Is this rather a destination for young or middle aged people

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 00:17