We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort Suggestions?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
125 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Resort Suggestions?

I have decided to stay on Ambergris Caye during our stay in Belize this summer. I have looked at SEVERAL (bold-faced, underline) resorts and for one reason or another haven't been able to select the one for us. Your help is very necessary on this one.

Here's a little of what we're looking for: My boyfriend and I are heading to Belize for a week this August. We are 30-somethings who are looking for a little of everything: relaxation, access to shopping and activities, i.e. ziplining, etc., great food and drinks and a good shore and beautiful, SWIMMABLE water. We love a beautiful, preferably boutique, hotel, but service and food matter just as much.

Suggestions, anyone? Thanking you bunches in advance.

Danielle

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,140 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort Suggestions?

I much prefer easy access to town, so, my favorite places are within a few miles of town, and south of the bridge.

For full service resorts, start with Victoria House and the Phoenix. VH is a couple miles south of town, but cab rides are cheap and easy. Lovely property, has sort of a plantation feel.

The Phoenix is right in town, and is beautiful. Wonderful staff. Lovely pools. Downside is there's a sea wall in front of the property.

Not quite as nice, but on a very nice stretch of beach is Ramon's.

Higher end condos would be Pelican Reef, Athens Gate, Xanadu.

More moderate options would be Caribbean Villas, Coral Bay Villas (I own a unit there), Banana Beach, several others.

North of the bridge there are some stunning properties. Only a bit over a mile north is Grand Caribe.

Coco Beach is maybe three miles north, has stunning pools and is beautiful. Next door is Belizean Shores, cheaper, but nice.

There's also Mata Chica and Portofino and Las Terazzas.

Belize simply does not have world class beaches. Because of the proximity of the reef, there isn't much wave action, so there's sea grass in the water. Because of that, most swimming is off the docks.

Which places are you thinking about?

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort Suggestions?

I second what Jean said, she gave you lots of great options.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort Suggestions?

Thank you!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
427 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort Suggestions?

Sounds like Victoria House is the place for you--based on what you described in your post. Amazing pool, restaurant, some what of a beach. As Jean stated above Belize is not know for their beaches.

5. Re: Resort Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2013, 20:46