We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TBR or closer to town?

Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
TBR or closer to town?

My husband and I are considering Belize for our 15y anniversary in January. We first looked into Tranquility Bay Resort. Love the seclusion, beautiful beach, ability to snorkle off the beach, and overall vibe of the resort. Our only concern is distance to town and lack of restaurant choices. We like to try new restaurants and do a little shopping, but maybe only for a day or two. Will it be too challenging to get back to town to do this? I know they have planned trips to town to pick up and drop off people, but we don't want to be too restricted and only have an hour or two in town. That said, I'm not sure we want more than a day or two in town anyway.

Our main goals are to relax, swim, snorkle and take a fishing and snorkling/diving trip. All of these seem to be options thru TBR.

Is there another resort option that is closer to town with a great beach that is not too close to town but still accessible?

VH looks like it might be an option, but we're worried about the beach being less than ideal for swimming.

Budget is ~$200-300/night.

We would also consider a split trip between TBR and another closer hotel but still want a great beach at the hotel that is closer to town.

Thanks so much. Seems like the more reviews I read, the more confused I get.

Mentioned in this post
Tranquility Bay Resort
Tranquility Bay Resort
476 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Toucan Fly
Gift & Speciality Shops
Shopaholics
Gift & Speciality Shops
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,170 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TBR or closer to town?

TBR is really the only place on Ambergris that offers decent walk in/swim in snorkeling. It's the only place that is close enough to the reef to actually swim out to it.

I'd seriously consider splitting your trip. I think the best beach close to town is at Ramon's. I think it's a bit expensive for what you get, but, it's very popular.

There's also nice condos next door at the Palms. You could still swim at Ramon's beach.

I missed the not too close to town part. Ramon's is essentially in town.

The reality is that most swimming on Ambergris is done off the docks, because of sea grass and the fact that the water is often shallow a long way out.

If you don't want to be close to town, I'd take another look at Victoria House.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria House Resort & Spa
Victoria House Resort...
1,453 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TBR or closer to town?

Tranquility Bay Resort is awsome place...and Carlos and his team will and can arrange for rides into SP where you can eat and shop...but the isolation, romance, and proximity to the reef cannot be beat...they have only 10 cottages literally 30 feet from the Sea...the food is delcious, the staff is wonderful, and yes it is quiet, yes it is isolated a bit, yes you are forced to relax and unwind...but isn't that the point...

I was there for 5 days in April...never left except to do snorkling trips...but others there with us went to town to eat and shop...some went to church on Sunday...but within 2 hours everyone knows your name...the staff is friendly and there to please...and again, you can swim or kayak to the reef...it is a long swim to the reef but an easy kayak...

Carlos, Hill, Jamal, and the rest of the staff will take great care of you...and keep a smile on your fsace for months...

Mentioned in this post
Tranquility Bay Resort
Tranquility Bay Resort
476 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,684 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TBR or closer to town?

It really is a great tropical experience being that far north. Have you considered a split and doing a few days north and a few says south? That way you get the best of both worlds.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,009 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TBR or closer to town?

Eric - Thanks for posting that nice review! I never really considered Ambergris because San Pedro wouldn't be my scene and I thought TBR would be too spendy. When I saw on their website that they have a budget room that's under $100/nt/double in the summer we booked a week at the end of our vacation this summer (6 weeks split between Guatemala and Belize for me, just the Belize part for my husband). We'll shop in San Pedro before we head there and prepare a lot of our own food; I may visit San Pedro on a regularly scheduled boat mid week but won't miss being in town. Another advantage in addition to snorkeling is DIY fly fishing - my husband plans to fish his brains out. :-)

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Belize
Belize
Central America
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: TBR or closer to town?

Yes, access to/from TBR is a challenge. When we were in San Pedro this spring we contacted them about coming up for a day or afternoon to see if we'd like to stay there for a future trip. They said transportation for their current guests was their top priority (fair enough) but they weren't able to arrange anything for us at all over a few day pwriod. There is no access by golf cart (too far) or water taxi either.

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TBR or closer to town?

Gmaps is a great tool which will show you that San Pedro is a small town on a large caye so most of the caye is rural.

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Sturgis, Michigan
Level Contributor
127 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TBR or closer to town?

Just got back from TBR and ended up in San Pedro a few times. Tours are always running and seems most days you can get to town. The day we went to Hol Chan we dropped off a neighbor lady at 9:30 am and left SP about 2:30. I found the restaurant at TBR delightful and different every night...great food :-) There is a resort up there that you could walk to and the Turtleman's wife will make a pizza or cinnamon rolls, but we just ate at TB each meal. One day we were in San Pedro for lunch, but it was no better than the food at TB. Highly, highly, highly recommend it...along with stopping on your way in for some drinks. We found we didn't snack at all, but liked having beer and pop in our cabana. Prices for cases from TBR aren't too high, but if you go item by item it will add up. Enjoy whatever you do decide!

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
8. Re: TBR or closer to town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2013, 05:47