We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stone Trip Report 6/23 - 7/7. This is long

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Stone Trip Report 6/23 - 7/7. This is long

I want to start by saying we had an awesome trip, met great people, made fast friends, ate great food and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly!

We didn't start out so nicely. Our luggage didn't make it from Houston to Belize City. Frustrating! We calmly filled out the forms because I knew from other Trip Advisors that Tropic Air is accommodating and has plenty of flights to fit us in. We missed our scheduled flight but Tropic Air was so nice and assured us they would take care of our bags and not to worry. We made it to San Pedro about 45 minutes later.

We rented a condo from Sienna at Oasis. Very nice, clean unit. All of the information she provided to us was really helpful. No Internet as promised though. We quickly conquered that as there are plenty of places that offer free internet. Leo, the "caretaker" at Oasis was a sweetheart and really helpful to us.

We walked down the beach and ate at Fido's the first night. My hubby had a great pasta dish and my son had really good Coco Loco chicken with potatoes. Nice way to start!

The next morning as we were walking in town 2 guys stopped us to talk about excursions and my first instinct was to blow them off (still not the happiest due to no luggage) but we are all glad we stopped and gave them a chance! David and Silver of C & S Tours became fast friends and they went above and beyond for us. They booked excursions that we really enjoyed at good prices but they also checked on us, gave great advice and picked us up to run to the store or just sat and talked to us.

We did a sailing/snorkeling trip with Captain Louis on Monday 6/25. We didn't see the manatees but we saw so many other things, ate great fish for lunch that Lou cooked and his crew was great! The snorkel guide can hold his breath for 5 minutes I swear! We went to Hol Chan, Shark Ray Alley and Coral Gardens and we got so many pics with our dive cams. Turtles, fish, eels, rays and sharks a plenty!

We planned to begin diving early in the week but with the delay of the bags, we decided to do some excursions first with C&S. Next on 6/27 we went with Searious (David and Silver arranged it for us) to Lamanai. Searious did a great job. Lamanai is amazing! We all did the climb to the top. View was amazing! It was a long , hot, buggy day but we would do it again in a heartbeat! Bring the bug spray!! ; ).

We went diving on Friday 6/29 with Ambergris Divers. The water was so rough outside the reef! Boat ride was awful as we were flying on the waves. I couldn't wait to get below the surface to get out of the waves. Visibility SUCKED! Everyone on the boat said it was the worst they had seen it. Could barely see the mooring line, didn't see my husband and son until we all descended. Ugh. It got better a 60 ft but I'm glad we didn't mess with the cameras. Happy moments during the dive was a turtle that came right up to us to check us out. Turtles are my FAV so this helped my mood emmensely! The sea life is really great. Nurse sharks and rays were commonplace. We got back to the surface and somehow got back in the tossed about boat. My son, who has never gotten seasick got a bad case! Poor guy. Went back to the docks for our surface interval and I called it quits on the second dive. Zach felt horrid and it frankly wasn't worth it. We promised we would be back with dramamine the next Monday. It was a shame because we have heard about,read about and seen great pics of Belize diving so I know we just hit it at a bad time.

Next was cave tubing and zip line on Saturday 6/30. David came and picked us up and took us to the ferry to Belize City. We met up with Alfredo w/ Vitalino. I have to say....this was so fun! Alfredo knows his stuff! He was fun, knowledgeable and laid back. (cave tubing.bz if anyone is interested). Alfredo's sister made us stewed chicken w beans and rice. Literally the best we tasted while in Belize and we had plenty of beans and rice!

On Monday 7/2 we dove again. Repeat of the above. DANG! We scrapped diving after that, sad to say. But I dive for pleasure and a sick 15 year old and bruised shins and bad vis doesn't do it for me. Never fear, we just made different plans. We went with Captain Lou and did a repeat of the first sail/snorkel trip. Visibility was great and this time we saw manatees! SUCCESS! We had another great day.

The days we didn't do the above, we rented bikes from Joe and rode all over, went to Wayo's and enjoyed great convo, cold beer and used the Internet. We also rented a golf cart for 2 of the days and did more exploring. We went north to Palapas and had a great time twice.

Food: we were pleasantly surprised at how good the food was! We have been all over the Caribbean and food is hit or miss but not here.

We ate at Carambas twice. Great both times. We went to Palapas 2 times and had cheeseburgers. We tried a new restaurant called Licks that we loved! Mario is the owner. So helpful and friendly. His dog Patch loved on us and then we didn't miss our dogs so bad. Food was great! Service was great. We had the same guy wait on us and he was a funny guy that took excellent care of us. I think we ate there 5 times! Some for lunch,some for beer and some for dinner. It is next to Latitudes right in front of the ferry dock where Ambergris Divers is. Our FAV was the plantain crusted red snapper and the plantain fritters. Although the steak sandwiches were also good. We also ate at Caprices 2 times. Great plantain crusted chicken and Chaya stuffed chicken. Really really good! Of course we went to Waruguma and had burritos and papusas. Loved the papusas. Burritos are HUGE so share. We ate at My Secret Deli for breakfast. Really good pancakes and the breakfast was huge! We didn't eat until dinner that night. Glad I heard about MSD from Trip Advisor. Good recommendation. Elvi's Kitchen was really good my husband is still talking about the nachos!D and E's frozen custard next door to Caramba's. What can I say....other than we were in love. We went back many times. The owners are great and the ice cream is even better. Soursop, coconut, java joes coffee were our favorites with honorable mention to chocolate, butter pecan, mango and key lime.

; )

We have such great feelings about this trip. We met really good people that we want to stay in touch with, and we thoroughly fell in love with AC. . Our 15 year old had so many people talk to him(maybe the attention was paid to his blonde Mohawk and he says he was the palest guy on the island!) and everyone was friendly. Special shout outs to Mario, Patch, David, Silver, Captain Lou, Sieto, Eileen from D and E, Ruby at Wayo's and Alfredo. You all made us want to come back. Thank you!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,755 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stone Trip Report 6/23 - 7/7. This is long

Great report! Makes me really homesick for Ambergris. Sorry the diving wasn't better.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stone Trip Report 6/23 - 7/7. This is long

Thanks for the trip report! Glad you enjoyed the people and the great food.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stone Trip Report 6/23 - 7/7. This is long

Glad you had a great trip.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
328 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stone Trip Report 6/23 - 7/7. This is long

I've not been to Belize before but it is on the "list"! Thanks so much for your detailed report. Hoping to visit AC soon and have saved your report for future reference. Thanks very much!

P.S. LOVE your positive outlook!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stone Trip Report 6/23 - 7/7. This is long

Thanks for the detailed report! Belize (AC especially) is at the top of our list for 2013. My sister & her husband stopped in Belize while on a cruise & want to go back. The 3 of us are divers, but my husband is not. He does love to snorkel though.

Would you mind sharing the cost of your excursions? Need to know how much to expect. (we're putting $$ into our vacation fund). Also, average cost per person for meals. We are pretty low maintainance, don't need anything fancy. Just good food.

Any other advice would be great too. I've been lurking here for a while trying to gather info. Is 10 or 11 days enough? Thanks in advance.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stone Trip Report 6/23 - 7/7. This is long

; )

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stone Trip Report 6/23 - 7/7. This is long

Excursions normally ran $100 or so, so that was $300 for us. Remember this is all day. For the Lamanai trip, that included breakfast and lunch as well as sodas, rum punch and bottled beer. For the zip line and cave tubing it included lunch, water, sodas, beer and rum punch. The meals we ate were $7-10 up to $15-20 for Caprices. In my opinion, very reasonable. Diving is comparable to other Caribbean islands $$$$ wise. ; )

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stone Trip Report 6/23 - 7/7. This is long

Thanks zachsmom. Excursions are about what I figured, but including lunch & drinks is a bonus. Meals are a little less, which is a good thing!! Just have to decide where to stay now. Need 2 bedrooms & 2 baths minimum. We want to be on the water if possible. Any suggestions?

9. Re: Stone Trip Report 6/23 - 7/7. This is long

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2013, 10:16