We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers

Kamloops, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
First timers

Just wondering if anyone has stayed at Diana's Beach House in Caye Caulker. We are planning on going in Jan. Thinking about a week in Caye Caulker and a week in Ambergris Caye .Any suggestion on cooking and cost vs eating out?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,749 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers

Although I love both Caye Caulker and Ambergris, they are really pretty similar, although Ambergris is much larger and busier.

I'd spend a few days on the mainland, in/around San Ignacio and do some of the fun things there.

Or, if you just want beach time (nothing wrong with that), I'd consider either Hopkins or Placencia, then one of the northern cayes, not both.

As for cooking, vs. eating out, it's a toss up. If you eat street food and at local restaurants, it certainly can be cheaper not to cook. I honestly don't know how some of the places make any money, their food is so cheap.

And, buying essentials to cook with can add up in a hurry.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers

Overall, in Belize unless you have special dietary needs or staying in one location for a month it is cheaper to eat out. If you have a place with a fridge you can buy your own beer/drinks much cheaper and have them handy. The food is very reasonable in most restaurants. You need at least a week to sort out the best places to buy the best/freshest/cheapest food. Keep in mind the cost of setting up a kitchen (stove, pots, pans etc.) and the fuel used; this cost is all passed on to the consumer and the difference between a room with and without a kitchen can equal the cost of a meal out. Even budget travelers who spend half their vacation day cooking (and often burning) rice and beans cannot compete with the restaurant owner who buys in bulk and does a much better job or preparing the food.

3. Re: First timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 19:16