We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling and water taxi question

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
75 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
snorkeling and water taxi question

We are planning on snorkeling at Hol Chan one day. However, we are staying about 4 miles north of San Pedro so it seems that Mexico Rocks would be convenient. Would these two areas be two different experiences?

We have a golf cart but I'm thinking the water taxi might be faster. Can anyone tell me if there is a weekly pass for the water taxi and if so, what is the rate as compared to individual rides?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling and water taxi question

Both areas are great to snorkel and they do provide a different array of underwater life.

At Mexico Rocks you will find amazing star, elk horn coral, and staghorn coral, colonized by lobsters and eels and colorful juvenile fish The snorkeling at Mexico Rocks is very shallow, with a maximum depth of only about 12 feet.

Hol Chan most popular Belize snorkeling spot at the southern end of Ambergris Caye. The park has four specific ecological zones, and the entire reserve covers about three square miles. Most snorkel trips to Hol Chan are combined with a stop Shark Ray Alley to swim with the nurse sharks. You will also see Elkhorn coral, purple sea fans, big groupers, Spotted Eagle Rays Barracuda, and a large variety of other species at Hol Chan Marine Reserve.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling and water taxi question

Hol Chan is much better than Mexico Rocks. I didn't see a lot at Mexico Rocks. Hol Chan is likely an aquarium.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling and water taxi question

My boyfriend and I just got back yesterday. The two sites are very different; you should do both. Hol Chan had larger schools of fish, and more of the larger fish. And of course Shark Ray Alley had...sharks and rays. But at the holidays these sites were CROWDED. 10 snorkeling groups of 8 at a time, all in a tiny area.

At Mexico Rocks and Tres Cocos (a site which is frequenty combined with Mexico Rocks) we were the only group. This one made me feel more like swimming in an aquarium, with many kinds of small but beautiful fish. We saw a pufferfish and a lionfish here, plus a couple of sea turtles and rays.

4. Re: snorkeling and water taxi question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 05:17