We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

personal snorkeling geer

Downers Grove...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
personal snorkeling geer

I am a total amateur at snorkeling but I do have my own gear. Is it worth brining my own to Ambergris Cay? Are there places to snorkel of the beach or will always be hiring a tour, thus using provided gear. It is bulky and heavy to bring along.

Kalimantan...
Level Contributor
8,247 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: personal snorkeling geer

I like having my own mask because I know it fits, and I prefer my own snorkel.

You can snorkel from the beach, but it's not the best. Better to go out to the reef on a boat.

2. Re: personal snorkeling geer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 February 2013, 14:58
Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: personal snorkeling geer

Better to have your own gear rather than stuff that someone has been chewing and blowing their nose in.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: personal snorkeling geer

I bring my own personal mask and snorkel. Fins are usually readily available from tour operators.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: personal snorkeling geer

We always take our own gear . Nothing worse than a bad leaky mask. We also have little half length split fins that work great.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: personal snorkeling geer

Since we went to figi in 1998 we have always carried our own snorkel gear with us. We did to figi just because and where we were staying had theirs all rented out so we would have been out of luck. An often we snorkel just because so it is handy to have - I agree with not having a previously used snorkel in my mouth

michigan
Level Contributor
378 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: personal snorkeling geer

I would say take your own gear, nothing worse then an ill fitting mask or a leaky snorkel.

Where is Figi, we have been to Fiji twice. Im gonna have to look at our globe ; -)

Edited: 11 March 2013, 21:22
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: personal snorkeling geer

Thai1on .....That is the best username ..EVER. Yes Figi is near Samoaba. But not if my auto correct has anything to say about it.:-)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: personal snorkeling geer

how clean is the rental stuff?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: personal snorkeling geer

I've never been tempted to find out. Ew. I would assume top notch places would disinfect and some places just wouldn't care.