We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription drugs, cosmetics, hair products & customs

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Prescription drugs, cosmetics, hair products & customs

1. So at the advice of our travel clinic visit we were given a couple shots, and also prescriptions for Cipro (diarrhea) and an anti-malarial ( I know, we prob. won't even use it but will bring) mutliply those by 4 bottles each plus the immodium, Advil, and a couple of my personal prescriptions and I fear Customs will think We're trying to open a pharmacy!

Is this a big deal at all? Shall I consolidate as much as I can and pack in carry on or checked bags? (though I'm sure they go through both) But there are a couple of those prescriptions I can't be without.

2. Seriously, are make up, hairspray, and styling products a waste of time b/c of wind and humidity? I was going to go extra light on those things anyway but the only thing I have to compare this to is Florida and there were lots of AC places there. I don't anticipate much AC in Belize. Ladies, what do you all pack? How much of your girlie things to you bring? What are your 'can't live without' items?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,571 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescription drugs, cosmetics, hair products & customs

Put any prescription meds in your carry on. I'd put each person's meds in their own carry ons, unless you're talking about small children, then I'd carry those.

Not many air conditioned restaurants here. It's usually windy and humid. If you're comfortable without your makeup and hair products, leave them at home. If you're not comfortable without make up and such, bring it along.

It's your vacation, you want to be comfortable.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescription drugs, cosmetics, hair products & customs

Thanks Jeanh.

What do you do? wear makeup or go commando?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,571 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescription drugs, cosmetics, hair products & customs

I am not the right person to ask. I haven't owned any makeup for over 20 years.......

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescription drugs, cosmetics, hair products & customs

I wish I could click 'like' on Jean's post :~)

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prescription drugs, cosmetics, hair products & customs

I would say there is a good split between make up wearers and non make up wearers on the island.

If you can go commando it is nice to give yourself a break. Tinted lip gloss is a nice option for here.

Good hair conditioner also a good item to bring. Spray on conditioner is great for after for after boats. Anyone have a good DIY recipe for that?

Baking soda a super easy and green friendly face / body wash and you can't beat the price.

If you want a great local body moisturizer and hair spa treatment, Glorious Belize coconut oil sold at Green House and Go Nature health food store. Also good for sand fleas as they cannot get through the oil so easy.

Level Contributor
9,167 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prescription drugs, cosmetics, hair products & customs

NEVER pack anything in checked luggage that you cannot be without. AC is so casual a couple of shorts, longer pants, skirts, sun dress and light wrap sweater is about it. Always do hand carry and save alot of lines etc. I never understand these giant suitcases for a one week trip (includes 2 days travel) unless you have scuba gear or something like that. The medications you describe sound like overkill but probably don't take alot of room. I believe the malaria is not something you take "after" so wondering about that and you don''t need it unless in some of the far reaching jungle, not on AC.4 bottles of immodium? You probably won't need that but I believe it comes in small pills and that would make alot more sense.I am assuming they gave you some serious warning on the cipro which is a very strong drug and not taken lightly especially for a basic case of diarreha. Hair...well my goes crazy in the humidity so some bands, clips etc. and frankly no amount of product helps and just makes it sticky. Makeup...yes I take it but usually only use it for the trip home or maybe a couple of nights. Basic makeup takes up little room and any creams etc. I put in small bottles etc. for the plastic bag checked at the machine. It is a very simple trip to pack for...don't bring so much and you will be happier.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prescription drugs, cosmetics, hair products & customs

I agree with Jeanh and Hon. Have not worn make-up, except to my kids weddings, in over 30 years. The humidity and heat will quickly make it a sliding slippery mess. Same with the hair--wash and go--and yes, lots of conditioner because of the wind. Hair bands, visor style caps, etc. This is a shorts and tanks or t's place, nothing fancy.

Do make sure any prescription medications are in your carry on baggage.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,854 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prescription drugs, cosmetics, hair products & customs

I'm firmly ensconced in the no makeup club; you might want to lose the watch for a bit, too. :-) Re: medications, good advice above. I've always read to keep prescription meds in their original containers but I never do that. I like to travel light (just a carry-on bag) and often have a group in tow; I take extras of all plus bandages, bee sting wipes, vet wrap, etc. to save hassles if someone in my group is sick or has owies. Consequently, my medicine bag is larger than most but I've never had it questioned in trip after trip. Since I'm usually in CA for 4-6 weeks and have prescription meds I must take, I stick in an extra set and take along the prescription just in case. Happy trails!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
142 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prescription drugs, cosmetics, hair products & customs

I take water proof mascara, (diving) a light face powder for dinner and sunblock lip balm. Shorts sundress light tops and 3 bathing suits. But only because I don't like putting on one that is not dry. I take extra conditioner and a ball cap for boat trips. The less you take the more freedom you have. No worries about what to wear or how it might fit back into the suite case. I take 2 bags loosely packed so the dirty clothes go into one and the gifts go into the other. Being your sun block and find a place to people watch. You will be able to tell the high maintenance ones from the fun loving adventure type in about 2 min. Oh and take 2 pair of sunglasses .... I always loose one

Edited: 21 March 2013, 01:32
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
336 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prescription drugs, cosmetics, hair products & customs

My 2 cents: doing anything to my hair is a complete waste of time with the heat and humidity so I bring headbands and call it good. This has the added benefit of giving me extra time to enjoy my vacation! And I need a hat when I'm out and about. Also, bring way more sunscreen than you think you need. I had to buy some last time and I paid $25US for a tube. Ouch.