We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Dive sites? Is Blue Hole worth it?

Walla Walla
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best Dive sites? Is Blue Hole worth it?

My husband and I will be staying in San Pedro for a week in mid June. We are very serious divers and have dove some of the best places in the world. We are a little unsure as to whether the dive at the Blue Hole is worth it or not. We have done a lot of diving in Cenotes and thus have seen a lot of stalagmite formations. We have also done a lot of diving with Sharks and Turtles in Borneo and other places around SE Asia. It just seems like such a long boat ride that we're wondering if there are better (more interesting) dive sites closer to Ambergris Caye? Any feedback about diving in the Northern region would be most appreciated. Thank you.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Dive sites? Is Blue Hole worth it?

This full day 3 tank dive trip includes Half Moon Caye Wall, which is pretty incredible and on one of 3 atolls in Belize. Yes, worth it, as is the BH

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
431 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Dive sites? Is Blue Hole worth it?

IMO the blue hole is not worth it--$300 per person and a 12 hour day for a 15 minute dive. So is the dive itself worth it--IMO no. It's simply a "check it off the list dive". Plenty of great local dives--i would highly recommend finding someone that will take you up north.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,289 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Dive sites? Is Blue Hole worth it?

what Auddy said

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Dive sites? Is Blue Hole worth it?

What if we only snorkel? It's a 2 1/2 hour boat ride one way. Is it worth it even less for us?

Thx, m

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Dive sites? Is Blue Hole worth it?

I love Lighthouse Reef atoll. I think its definitely worth seeing, but not perhaps for everyone considering the price and travel time. Half Moon Caye is lovely

6. Re: Best Dive sites? Is Blue Hole worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2014, 07:17