We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries

Sunland
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Groceries

We are staying at Tranquility Bay Resort the end of July. We are having some groceries delivered by Mata Grande but still want to stop in town to see the market and maybe pick up a few other things. We know prices are probably a little higher from Mata Grande for the privilege of having them delivered, but does anyone know how much of a difference there is between Mata Grande and the markets in San Pedro? We also can't find much information about whether sealed salami with a US Agriculture approval stamp on it can be brought into Belize in our luggage. Any help with information about these things would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Tranquility Bay Resort
Tranquility Bay Resort
476 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Belize
Belize
Central America
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,170 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groceries

I think I read once that the mark up for the delivery services is about 20%. I'm not positive about that number though.

I'm a bit confused by your 'see the market' comment. There isn't a central market in San Pedro There are numerous grocery stores, tiendas and produce stands, but they're scattered around town.

If you're looking for non-perishable items, I'd either head to Super Buy or Ritchie's. For produce, either Big Tree or the Green House. Shopping in San Pedro takes time, at least for us. Three or four stops most trips.

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Caribbean
Level Contributor
7,676 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Groceries

Here's the list of Restricted & Prohibited Goods from Belize Customs & Excise Department...

http://www.customs.gov.bz/restricted.html

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
55 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Groceries

Thanks for the link, MisterB266. T shirts? Do you think they mean old, used t shirts? Was planning on only bringing old t shirts and shorts, leaving them there to make the luggage lighter on the return trip. Might have to rethink the packing. What do you suggest instead? 6 more days...

Caribbean
Level Contributor
7,676 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Groceries

I'd guess that they mean T-shirts imported for the purpose of re-sale in Belize, not T-shirts that are personal possessions of visitors. I've never heard of visitors having their shirts taken from them -- just make sure they don't have price tags attached.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
55 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Groceries

That's what we thought, too. Not planning on selling anything, just buying things for family and friends. Hence the disposable clothing. I did appreciate getting to look at the customs procedures. Nice to be forewarned of procedures. Thanks for all the help we've received from TA experts. 5 days...

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Groceries

I second Jeanh's suggestion of SuperBuy (on back street) and Ritchie's market on the circle for your grocery needs. Also, if you want some nice cheeses and more gourmet items - try The Greenhouse on Middle street. Personally I would have Mata Grande deliver a few basics to hold you over for a day, then make your own trip to town for the rest of your goods.

On bringing items into the states..clothing, etc.. I've never had an issue with common household goods or clothing as long as the tags are removed. As long as you say the items are for your own personal use (and not gifts or resell items) you'll be fine.

Lake Havasu City...
Level Contributor
35 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Groceries

We did bring a frozen turkey through a few years ago for Thanksgiving and they charged us $30 USD to "immigrate' our bird.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,684 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Groceries

Our first vacation here before we moved, I had everything but the kitchen sink packed in my suitcase. I had planned to get the person we were staying with to help find people who needed stuff. We had everything everything from Tupperware to towels. Thankfully they did not open the suitcase or it would have exploded all over the airport :)

Hopkins
Level Contributor
783 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Groceries

I agree with film chick but I would not even bother with delivered groceries. Assuming TBR has a restaurant, I would eat there first day or two and them take a trip into SP for groceries. Jean's comment about taking three or four stops to do grocery shopping sounds silly until you've lived in Belize. I have to know which grocery store carries sesame oil, which one has freshest veggies, pastries from Italy etc. This takes me three stops. Maybe Jean and Tacogirl can compile a list of which stores on SP have the best selection/quality of which products. Of course in Belize "here today, gone tomorrow" must be taken literally.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
55 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Groceries

Yes, Tranquility Bay has a restaurant. The menus are on a dropdown on the resort website. We're heading there July 13th, and we were planning to do just what most of you are suggesting. We were told the driver will let us make two or three stops before taking us to the boat, so we were going to stop for veggies and a liquor store (whichever one has the cashew rum?). Monday or Tuesday we planned on going into San Pedro for a look around. If we are sick of restaurant food, we will replenish supplies.

Any suggestions of must-sees in San Pedro while we're there for the day? Thanks for the help!

Mentioned in this post
Tranquility Bay Resort
Tranquility Bay Resort
476 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize