We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ranking hotels/resorts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Ranking hotels/resorts

I've read reviews from guests, now I'm looking for input from the locals or people who spend a lot of time on Ambergris Caye. Please rank these hotels (considering quality of suites/units, location, amenities, beach).

Phoenix, Victoria House, Pelican Reef, The Palms, Coco Beach, Grand Caribe, Las Terazzas, Athens Gate, Belizean Shores, El Pescador, X'tan Ha

Thanks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ranking hotels/resorts

I should mention we are a group of all adults. We like all activities except we are not divers - yet.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,138 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ranking hotels/resorts

Let's start with location: the Phoenix is on the north edge of San Pedro. You can walk everywhere in town easily. Victoria House is two miles south of town. Paved road all the way. Pelican Reef is another mile south of Victoria House. Road becomes dirt just south of VH. The Palms is on the south side of San Pedro. Walkable to everywhere in town. Athens GAte is very close to Pelican Reef.

Everything else is north of town. Coco Beach and Belizean Shores are next door to each other, between 2 1/2-3 miles north. Grand Caribe is about 1 1/2 miles north. Las Terazzas is not quite four miles north. El Pescador I'd estimate at a bit over two miles. X'tan Ha about 7 1/2 miles north.

North of the bridge, and particularly north of Grand Caribe, the road is not good. In fact, it really isn't a road. During the rainy season the pot holes can be over a foot deep. And huge. Golf carts can be a real hassle, you may want to just use water taxis.

I need to say, though, that I'm a south of the bridge person. I like being able to walk many places, I like being able to catch a cab easily and not pay a fortune.

The only one mentioned I've ever stayed in that's on your list is the Palms. Nice enough condos, love the location. Unless they've been redone, I suspect they won't be in the same league as some of the newer properties.

I've been in a beach front unit at Coco Beach. Very, very nice. The pools there are awesome.

The other places I've just been by in passing.

I will say that the Palms, Pelican Reef and Athens Gate aren't what I'd consider true resorts. They're just nice condo properties. Not sure if that matters to you or not.

I love the look of Victoria House. Expansive grounds, nice pools. Pretty restaurant.

Las Terazzas looks interesting, but, too stark and white for my personal taste.

Belizean Shores is a bit older as well. I like the pool and pool bar area. I'd guess the units are nice, but, once again, not fancy.

Most of the swimming on Ambergris is done from the docks. The areas close to shore tend to be very shallow and filled with sea grass. One of the exceptions is the area in front of Ramon's, which the Palms happens to be right next door to.

If you like mingling with the locals while on vacation, I'd recommend staying south of the bridge. Up north, pretty much the only locals you'll meet are the workers.

3. Re: Ranking hotels/resorts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 05:18