We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming and snorkeling off piers

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
6 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming and snorkeling off piers

I believe I read in an earlier post that piers through out the Caye can be used by anyone, not just the people at the resorts? Like Ramon's pier, do I have to stay at Ramon's to use it?

Thanks

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,168 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming and snorkeling off piers

All piers are supposed to be public. That said, some have locked gates, although, none of those at resorts (exception being Belize Yacht Club, not sure if there's is still locked or not).

Anyway, the short answer is you don't have to be staying at a resort to use their dock. Some places have loungers on the ends of their docks, I wouldn't try and use those....

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
243 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming and snorkeling off piers

We were not staying at Ramons and used their dock once for snorkeling. A lot of local kids were having a great time jumping from the pier was well. Didn't seem to be an issue at all. Not a great deal to see and the visability wasn't great. A lot of fish (all the same species) hang out under the dock. Much better snorkeling out by the reef.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,168 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming and snorkeling off piers

Over the years we've seen some neat 'critters' while snorkeling off the docks. Several different species of rays, crabs, lobster, sea slugs, very pretty juvenile angel fish and butterfly fish. Even a couple of nurse sharks.

However, none of this will take place when the local kids, or the tourist kids are jumping into the water. Stirs up the bottom and chases everything away.

I certainly do agree that the snorkeling is nothing like out at the reef, but, it can be a lot better than what Doug H encountered.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
6 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming and snorkeling off piers

Thanks, everyone. So..... anytime you are walking around town, take the snorkeling gear just in case you decide to jump in and see what's under the pier? LOL. Sounds like my kind of place. I need to get a bag big enough to hold a mask

5. Re: Swimming and snorkeling off piers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 06:20