We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tranquility Bay Restaurant

Lake Geneva...
Level Contributor
361 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Tranquility Bay Restaurant

How do you pay for your food/drinks at Tranquility Bay - credit card or cash? Also, how much is a case of beer at the resort? Is it worth buying in town before we get there? How much are mixed drinks at the resort? We are planning on buying rum in town before we get there, but of course, we will drink at the bar occasionally, too. Sorry for all the questions, but we will be there on the 24th! Thank you!!! :)

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,997 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tranquility Bay Restaurant

They just kept a tab and we paid it with our charge card at the end. My husband bought a bottle of rum in San Pedro enroute and a few beers in the restaurant - can't remember the cost, though. Other than the breakfasts (provided) we prepared most of our own meals. Sorry I can't help more with specifics - maybe the downloadable menu option on the website will shed some light (click dining). Happy trails!

Lake Geneva...
Level Contributor
361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tranquility Bay Restaurant

Thank you hopefulist! We plan to make our own lunches, and eat at the restaurant for dinner. Good to know that we can use our credit card and run a tab. We are so excited! Can you recommend anything that we can bring for the room (budget travelers room)? We are bringing some snacks from home, a small cutting board, knife to cut fruit, pitcher, and lime juicer. Am I missing anything? :)

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,997 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tranquility Bay Restaurant

The management and much of the staff has changed since we were there last summer - we were really sorry to hear that because the people were part of what we loved about the place. Hopefully the new people have the same policies for running and tab and paying with your charge card - you might want to email to be sure. We were allowed to borrow dishes and other items from the kitchen - something to keep in mind, too.

We asked for the taxi driver who met our flight to stop at a grocery and fruit stands enroute to the dock for our boat to Tranquility Bay; normally the taxi is covered but we were asked by the driver to pay for the extra time which was reasonable. We shopped extensively and had plenty for our time there; other than breakfasts we just ate 1 dinner during our week there.

Please post a trip report!

Lake Geneva...
Level Contributor
361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tranquility Bay Restaurant

Yes, I heard that the management and some staff has changed. That made me a bit nervous at first, but the recent reviews are all positive (thank goodness!). I spoke to Jerisue, the reservation agent, about the taxi driver stopping at a store for us, and she explained that it is fine as long as we compensate him (totally understandable of course). We plan to pickup a bunch of snacks and stuff. Did you go into town at all? I would like to. I read that they will bring you into town for a fee of like $20 pp, as long as they are going that way. I hope it isn't too complicated! I will definitely post a trip report!!! Thanks again!! :)

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,997 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tranquility Bay Restaurant

We didn't choose to go into town until it was time to fly home; I had thought ahead I might want to do that 1 day but we actually found our brief time shopping was more than enough San Pedro to suit us and gladly filled our time with beaches/snorkeling/diving/flyfishing at TB. Be sure to scrutinize the sell-by dates on anything that might spoil; stores aren't necessarily inclined to remove them from shelves. Happy trails!

Lake Geneva...
Level Contributor
361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tranquility Bay Restaurant

I hear you. I would like to do some shopping in town, however, I'm not so sure that I want to spend the entire day away from the beach at the resort for that. Thanks for the heads up on expired items...good to know! :)

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tranquility Bay Restaurant

Mesquita92

I wish I could tell you one stop shopping but that is hard to accomplish here. Save On grocery store is very close to the airport area there are also 2 decent fruit stands right near Tropic Air baggage claim area.

Sunland
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tranquility Bay Restaurant

We (a group of nine) stayed at Tranquility Bay Resort the last week of July. I have nothing but good things to say about the resort and the staff. The staff goes out of their way to make your stay an excellent one. Catherine, the manager is extremely accommodating. The staff works shifts of 21 days on and 6 days off so there is some change in personnel, but our dealings in the restaurant were with Cesar and Anita who are extremely willing to please. A case of beer (24 bottles) was $50 I believe and they deliver it right to your room. I think a beer in the bar was $3.50 USD. The drinks at the bar ranged from $6 to $9 USD although they are posted at Belizian prices. Happy hour some days provided certain drinks at a 2 for 1 price.

Our group had several different excursions with Panny and Yemen. They made sure everyone had a great time and were accommodating to all. There are others, but these are the people we had the most contact with.

Because our group was larger we ordered some groceries from Mata Grande and they make arrangements with Tranquility Bay to pick up the supplies as they don’t deliver that far north. Everything was in our cabana when we arrived. I think you have to order $175 to get free delivery though so that is something to consider. With nine of us that was not a problem. They are a little more expensive than the food we found in town, but after stopping in a store when leaving the airport we were extremely glad that we had ordered from them so we didn’t have to take the time to go to several stores.

We brought microwave popcorn, nuts and jerky from home along with crystal light and Starbuck’s refreshers to add to our water.

You feel like family with the people you come in contact with there. It was extremely sad to leave. Have other places we want to see but I surely hope we will return to the beauty of Tranquility Bay at some time in the future. You can count on having a good time there.

Lake Geneva...
Level Contributor
361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tranquility Bay Restaurant

Tacogirl - how far is the cigar/rum store where they sell chocolate rum and rum cream to Tropic Air? Is it worth going into town for the day from Tranquility Bay, meaning is there lots to see and do in town?

Linda - thank you for your post. I love reading all of the positive feedback anout the resort! Microwave popcorn - that's perfect! Great suggestion! Was the food really good at the resort? That is one thing that I'm nervous about because my husband is a foodie, and there's only one restaurant. Good to know that they have happy hour! $50 for a case of beer seems high, maybe we will just buy it by the bottle to taste test it first. I've never had Beliken.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,757 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tranquility Bay Restaurant

You can buy a case of beer in town at the distributor for about half that cost (plus deposit). If you're flying to San Pedro from BZE, go to Jet's and get a beer. Then, you can decide if you like it well enough to buy a case.

If you don't there are a couple other options these days. Carib is available, as is Kubuli (from the island of Dominica). Both are available at the liquor store south of town across from the Belize Yacht Club.

Tacogirl may know if they're available by the case anywhere else in town. They're more expensive than Belikin, but, still cheaper than what you'll pay for a case at your resort.