We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ambergris Caye vs Hopkins

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ambergris Caye vs Hopkins

We will likely go to Belize for about 9-10 days for Spring Break. Will be in Cayo for about 4 or 5 nights and then want to go to the beach. There is a pretty significant price difference between Ambergris Caye and Hopkins. Wondering if people have recommendations. If we are going to miss much if we go with Hopkins. We will have two kids with us, ages 12 and 13. Thank you for your thoughts.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ambergris Caye vs Hopkins

Hopkins has upscale-budget lodgings, is a Garifuna coastal village, near mainland, 10 miles from the reef with good access to mainland day trips. Ambergris is an island less than a mile from the reef, lodgings in all ranges, is our most visited destination with the largest selection of hotels, restaurants, bars, shops and people and is a mestizo population.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ambergris Caye vs Hopkins

Doubt we will be diving as I am the only member of our family certified, but we will snorkel. For the beach portion of our trip, think we are just looking for some small fun beach side restaurants, some fun snorkeling, and maybe a bit of shopping (but not much). Really, just relaxing. I am leaning towards Hopkins as it seems like transportation is easier (no need to fly) and if we want to head to a waterfall or something like that in addition to beach, looks like it is a possibility. Are we missing out if we don't go to Ambergris? I know if is your most visited destination--so concerned we are missing a "hot spot." The options we are looking at from a package perspective has Hopkins looking to be about $2000 less expensive. Really appreciate your help!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
431 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ambergris Caye vs Hopkins

Hopkins is nice, but super small. Because you will be on the mainland it might be nice to split your vacation between the maknland and island. IMO--I would certainly head over to Ambergris vs Hopkins.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ambergris Caye vs Hopkins

Hopkins has mid-range and budget lodging, as well as high-end. You can get a nice cabana on the beach for your family for a little as $75 a night. Two fun beach restaurants are Driftwood Pizza (and other dishes) and Laruni Hati for Belizean, including Garifuna (not rice and beans), dishes. Shopping is pretty limited, though there are a few stands springing up that sell Guatemalan crafts, one woodcarver (David) and you can buy a Garifuna drum; no tee shirt shops, the only bead seller is a local lady with a little shop close to the Drumming Center who also makes items from coconut shells. Don't buy beads from guys selling on the beach out of backpacks, as they fall apart after a day (this is probably true of all of Belize). You can also buy quality items at the gift shop at Hamanasi and I am sure the other full service hotels have gift shops as well.

5. Re: Ambergris Caye vs Hopkins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Ambergris Caye