We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food from US

1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Food from US

We will be visiting in February 2014, X'tan Ha. I would like to bring some food and snacks for the 6 of us. Mainly for breakfast and lunch. I was thinking boxed crackers, cereal, peanutbutter, jam, canned tuna, granola bars coffee, sugar etc.

Will this be okay to bring through customs with no problems? any suggestions? Are mosquitos really that bad during february? Please...any help and information will be helpful to us!

Thank you.

Caye Caulker, Belize
Level Contributor
86 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Food from US

As airlines now charge a fee for a second checked bag the amount the extra bag costs you would most likely double the price you will pay in Belize for groceries. Belize is a CARICOM country and because of this most food items imported from other CARICOM countries will end up being about the same price in BZ$ as you pay in US$ at home...in other words...half price. If you "need" to have Kellogg's Corn flakes they will be about 25% more than what you pay in the US because of import duty. But that said...buying the Central American made "Maize flakes" will cost you about half of what you pay for the Kellogg's brand at home. There are many grocery stores to choose from and asking a local where to buy goes a long way. The govt. thinking here is that if you shop like a foreigner...you will pay like one. They try to aim their import duties at foreign residents and guests. To get around this all a visitor has to do is find the Spanish labelled version of what you need. The above posts are correct. Peanut butter...(any nut anything) will have a high import duty because we have a nut industry. But again...CARICOM sourced products are reasonable enough that the hassle of bringing things down...the airline surcharges on bags...makes the effort not worth considering. As a side note...buying local also helps the community you are visiting.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Food from US

The other thing to consider that drives the price up a bit o Ambergris Caye compared to mainland is stores have to get everything flown or barged in.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,272 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Food from US

How much can one save by bringing their own peanut butter? Not worth it in my opinion. Let's keep everything in perspective.

Level Contributor
783 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Food from US

If you like nuts, bring nuts. You can get the sugary peanut butter like Jiff here, but natural (peanuts and salt only) is almost impossible to find. You can buy the microwave popcorn everywhere, other snacks are hard to find. Just follow the advice in Post #11. You won't really save any money bringing heavy things like canned tuna or bulky things like boxed cereal (granola, yes). Marie Sharps jams are natural and way better than anything you will get in the States (mango, guava, yum). Kids usually get a liking for a local treat and the parents end up giving away half of what they brought when they leave.

Level Contributor
7,142 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Food from US

Restricted & Prohibited Goods:

(don't know if that includes peanut butter)

Source: http://www.customs.gov.bz/restricted.html

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Food from US

Thanks for posting the prohibited list. I noticed it said T-shirt of cotton..how strict are they?? I planned to bring food items with me as I have several allergies (including gluten).

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,023 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Food from US

I suspect if you showed up with several dozen t-shirts that have obviously never been worn, as in, still have their tags, you'd be in for some questioning. The concern is that you brought them to sell.

In the past, I've brought things like low fat salad dressing, which at the time was unavailable. Also, I used to bring pasta, simply because it's expensive here. Now, I don't bother.

Corn tortillas are everywhere, you shouldn't have trouble being gluten allergic.

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
966 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Food from US

You can find pretty much everything on your list with familiar brand names in San Pedro Town. Visiting the town is a highlight for many of the people who come here, or you can just stop off on the way to your resort and pick up what you think you may need. Even so, there are so many fantastic restaurants in town, it would be a shame not to visit. It is a tourist resort island and with that comes a premium price, not to mention duty on luxury imported items. The supermarkets in town have shelves lined with USA imported snack products as they are very popular with both locals and tourists. If you buy locally, you'll be helping the economy and lessening your suitcase load. The advice always given to tourists to Belize is to bring fewer clothes and more cash. Have a great trip!

19. Re: Food from US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2014, 05:16
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now