We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mata Grande Grocery delivery

Samoa, CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Mata Grande Grocery delivery

Hi all,

I've seen scarce, but mixed reviews of Mata Grande's delivery service. We're staying at X'tan Ha for about a week so will definitely be buying groceries one way or the other. Mata Grande is certainly convenient but how are their prices? Just a quick look has cases of Belekin at $42USD each, liter of 1-barrel for $19USD, loaf of wheat bread for $3.50USD, are they in line with the stores in San Pedro? The $25USD delivery fee is negated with orders of $250USD or more which is probably doable without much waste. Thoughts, experiences?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mata Grande Grocery delivery

A case of beer (case deposit included) from the distributor south of town is $60.95 bzd that includes Belikin regular lighthouse and stout, Guinness is more. Factoring in gas, bridge toll and their delivery service, their pricing is relative.

Distributor hours of operation and contact number are 226 – 4441 Monday – Friday 8:00pm – 5:00pm and Saturday 8:00pm – 12:00pm

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
31 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mata Grande Grocery delivery

We just returned from the island , staying in a private villa about one mile south of your resort.

You are staying in a very remote part of the Island, roads have been hard to negotiate especially with the rain, etc, so please take this advice.....purchase as many liquor or food supplies as needed before getting to your resort.

If I had realized the remote location of our villa, I would have moved to a location much much closer to the bridge to San Pedro.

We rented golf carts, in advance ....with all the rental companies being in San Pedro they said the roads where in too bad condition to deliver.

The market is a nice illite supplier of frozen, fresh and bottled / boxed goods, but you will have limited selection and the logistics of it to your location is a bit cumbersome. Don't mean to be the messenger of negative information but you will be very isolated at that location, so plan plan plan ahead....and bring a suitcase full of some of the items like coffee, snacks, trail mix, granola etc. we did are were so glad we did.

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
374 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mata Grande Grocery delivery

We stayed at the X'tan Ha in September and loved it! We ordered some groceries online from Mata Grande, and they delivered them to our villa -- no problems! You can stop by their store as well, but we didn't want to have to deal with that while on vacation, so we were fine with the delivery fee. It was very easy and very convenient.

The X'tan Ha is about a 20 minute boat ride from San Pedro, and the hotel offered complementary taxis a couple of times a week. Also, some of the other hotels will send a complimentary boat if you make dinner reservations at their restaurants. The beach at the X'tan Ha is AMAZING, and they have a bar and restaurant on site. They have great fishing and snorkeling trips, and you can kayak out to Mexico Rocks from the hotel (kayaks are free). You can be as busy (or not) as you like!

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Mexico Rocks
Mexico Rocks
75 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
conroe texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mata Grande Grocery delivery

Did you have any problems going threw customs with declaring food you brought into Belize. We are renting a condo at the palms close to town but the grocery prices and time are a consideration to bring stuff from the US.

Thanks

Sandra Mamo

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
New York
Level Contributor
645 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mata Grande Grocery delivery

We are new to Belize and these forums. Rented homes all over Caribbean and world with family for yrs. I read that Ambergris Caye and San Pedro is more cnetrally located so more convenient for travel/sites and FOOD DELIVERY SERVICE _ Mata Grand etc.

We are planning way ahead for family vacation in winter ( Jan or Feb) 2016 with 7-9 adults. Looking at beachront rentals for last 5 days of vacation and perhaps first 3 -4 days inland for jungle/caves ruins trips.

Seems like Ambergris Caye has the most and best options for nice large beachfront home rentals with pools..............Please advise as to where it is most convenient for FOOD DELIVERY from grocery store and easiest for us to 'commute' whether by golf cart/car of water taxi to restaurants/tours etc.

We prefer privacy and quiet but not so remote that we cannot get any food delivery before we arrive etc as I've read in this forum. Advice on location would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,116 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mata Grande Grocery delivery

As far as I know there are two grocery delivery companies, the above mentioned Mata Grande, which is located several miles north of town, so, I would guess used by those who choose to stay further north on the island.

The other is Lagniappe Provisioning, I think they deliver to most of the island.

If you want to rent golf carts, I wouldn't stay too far north, the road can be terrible (although I hear at least part of it will be paved soon). Water taxis would be the way to go if you're very far north.

South of town, the road is paved for a couple of miles. South of there, the road is usually much better than up north. If there has really been a lot of rain, though, it can be pretty awful. And, no regular water taxi schedule in the south (I don't think).

I'd take a look at Casa Tortuga as a place to rent. We walk by there often when we're on the island, and it looks lovely. Just over two miles south of town. Nice pool. It always seems to have renters, popular place.

New York
Level Contributor
645 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mata Grande Grocery delivery

Hi JeanH,

You're right on.! I 've already exchanged emails w/owner Casa Tortuga. Seems lovely. But since Im new to Belize, was not sure actual location of Casa Tortuga on AC and how convenient it is for amenities such as groceries and delivery etc.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
966 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mata Grande Grocery delivery

Casa Tortuga is south of town and is very convenient for groceries as you'll pass many good grocery stores on your way south and will pass them whenever you are traveling to town. You shouldn't really even need a delivery unless you really do want to avoid shopping. Shopping on Ambergris Caye can be fun and part of the experience if you want it to be. South of town on the main drag, you'll find Superbuy south and Marina's, almost directly opposite from each other. Superbuy south is a larger, air conditioned store. The prices are a bit high but you'll probably feel very familiar with the products. Across the road is Marina's, which is very much a local shop. They have the best prices on most things and it is certainly my first port of call for my groceries. Along the side of the road you'll find many different fruit and vegetable stalls selling fresh produce. There is also a good bakery across from Superbuy, where you can get fresh bread and other bakery products.

Vashon, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mata Grande Grocery delivery

Having reviewed the list of grocery items online, I was pleased, back pack ready to fill, and set out on foot from Capt Morgan's Retreat to Mata Grande Grocery Belize today. After walking the 3 or so miles in the tropical heat, I was pleased to think that I would be able to get seafood- which is difficult to obtain outside of San Pedro. THeir website doesn't list hours of operation but I thought that surely they'd be open until 5 PM. I arrived at 5:05 PM. Imagine my surprise when their staff of 3 came tearing out of the driveway on a golf cart- laughing and waving "We just closed! SOR-REEE!" I called out "But I just walked from Capt Morgan's!" Slight hesitation on the gas pedal- then they floored it out of there, leaving me dumbstruck-- a 64-year-old lady visitor traveling alone. Missed it by 5 minutes! I turned around and mentally prepared myself for my empty handed return trip. No problem.

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mata Grande Grocery delivery

Hi all - we are staying at Las Terrazas and was wondering which stores are closest to us? We are only here for a week in late April for a wedding so are looking to pick up beer, soda, baked goods and breakfast goodies. Thoughts suggestions are most appreciated. Thanks