We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Differences between north and south of San Pedro?

North Webster...
2 posts
Save Topic
Differences between north and south of San Pedro?

What are the differences of staying north of San Pedro compared to south of it in terms of scheduled water taxi service vs. having to book it, ease in getting around, safety, etc? Is there a toll for the bridge? How are the "roads" for the golf carts currently - graded or not? Just trying to figure out which area to stay in with several condo options available that we are looking at.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Differences between north and south of San Pedro?

There really isn't a road north of the bridge. There is a golf cart path, that has gradually evolved into more of a road. However, as far as I know, there is no scheduled maintenance on it. Only what the owners of the properties up north are willing to pay for. With all the rain in the past several months, I read that the 'road' is in bad shape. Perhaps some work has been done recently, the heavy rains seem to have stopped.

There is scheduled water taxi service for about eight or so miles north.

The road is paved with cobblestones for two miles south of town. South of there it's dirt and gravel. There is some maintenance done, although it's been in bad shape this winter as well.

I don't think there's scheduled water taxi service south.

My thoughts are that if you plan on coming to San Pedro on a regular basis, as in most evenings, I would book more than a mile or two north of the bridge. To the south the vast majority of condos are within three miles of town, Hol Chan being the exception.

I have friends who live just north of Pelican Reef, which is the condo furthest south (with the exception of Hol Chan) and they were able to get to town whenever they wanted with their golf cart despite the road conditions.

The bridge toll is BZ$10.00 round trip for golf carts. Not sure if there is a weekly pass available. It's BZ$2.00 for bikes and free for pedestrians.

North Webster...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Differences between north and south of San Pedro?

Sounds like a toss up between the 2 areas - safety?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Differences between north and south of San Pedro?

I would guess safety is a toss up as well. Occasional purse snatchings pretty much everywhere on the island. Same is true for break ins, although I would guess they are more common fairly close to town.

I live a mile south of town when I'm on the island. We walk everywhere, and have had no problems. That said, we don't stay out late at night, nor, do we walk the beach at night.

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
845 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Differences between north and south of San Pedro?

The vibe is definitely different between the two areas. Up north is much more tropical hideaway style. Lots of expensive private properties and resorts. Very quiet and perfect for those who want to laze around and enjoy some water activities and tours offered by the resorts. Most of the people who live on the caye live in on the south of the bridge, where you'll get the opportunity to see much more of the culture and also have access to a wide range of restaurants, bars and nightlife. It's also very quiet far south of town, but cheaper and easier to get to town than it is from resorts in the north. It really depends on the sort of holiday you are looking for.

5. Re: Differences between north and south of San Pedro?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 05:20