We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Belize - Ambergris

Anniston, Alabama
Level Contributor
72 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Belize - Ambergris

I am wondering how safe it is to travel to Belize? Some websites indicate it's not the safest country. We are wanting to go to Ambergris Caye in June. Just my husband and I. Any thoughts or issues I should be aware of?

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Belize - Ambergris

I would say use common sense as you would at home. Yes, we have crime, but most visitors feel a very comfortable degree of personal safety and sure your experience will be similar

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
956 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Belize - Ambergris

I agree with Katie. Most crime that people here about in Belize is on the mainland, particularly around the city. Ambergris Caye is off the coast and there is very little violent crime although petty theft is not uncommon.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
373 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Belize - Ambergris

When we first told people we were going to Belize, some of our (more paranoid) friends and family expressed a bit of concern, because of some of the high crime statistics. Upon further research, you'll find that most of the crime is in Belize City. We stayed in San Ignacio and on Ambergris Caye during our visit and never felt unsafe. In fact, the people of Belize were among the nicest and most helpful people we have ever met! We never had any problems (though I am sure things like pick-pocketing are not totally uncommon, just like any places frequented by tourists).

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Belize - Ambergris

As mentioned above, common sense is the best insurance. Don't show cash, or flash jewelry around. Don't take purses out, and if you do, don't leave them anywhere. Fanny packs, while dorky, are great. As a rule of thumb everywhere, don't stay out past midnight. All the good bars close by then anyways. Every tourist destination has petty thieves around. AC is fine. Have a fun trip.

5. Re: Safety in Belize - Ambergris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 06:19