We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on Ambergris in mid July?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
51 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay on Ambergris in mid July?

Hi! We are planning a trip to Ambergris for mid July. Also we are going to Culebra this May. Thanks to all the posts on trip advisor I think I have Culebra down but I was wondering if they are too similar? Should we go somewhere else? If not here is what we are looking for on Ambergris:

1. realxing and peaceful

2. AC

3. pool would be nice but not a necessity if nice beach on property

4. CLEAN!

5. comfortable

6. nice view

7. windward side for less mosquitos and heat if relevant

8. walk in snorkeling nearby

9. location nice enough that we look forward to just hang out there at the end of the day

Thanks!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay on Ambergris in mid July?

The only place on Ambergris that has really good walk in snorkeling is Tranquility Bay. It's far north on the island, so quite remote.

Closer to town, there is some so so snorkeling off of some of the docks, Ramon's and Caribbean Villas come to mind, although you wouldn't need to stay at those places to snorkel there.

Ramon's does sit on a very nice stretch of beach where you can walk in and swim. Most places on Ambergris the swimming is off the docks because and shallow water and/or sea grass.

I don't know much about Culebra, so can't help with comparisons.

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
897 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay on Ambergris in mid July?

1. That would probably describe most of the resorts on Ambergris Caye except, perhaps, some of the lager more family oriented resorts. The further north and south you go of town, the quieter and more relaxing it will be. Your budget should determine what's best for you.

2. You'd be hard pressed to find a resort without AC.

3. Many resorts have pools, some just splash pools, while others have multiple pools.

4. Because Ambergris Caye is a tourism destination and therefore highly competitive, cleanliness is always top priority at ever resort.

5. Again, comfort is a priority for guests at all resorts.

6. All of the resorts are on the Carribean side and all have equally beautiful views of the sea and reef.

7. See number six.

8. As Jeanh pointed out, the only walk in snorkelling would be at Tranquility Bay, which is isolated at the north end of the island. Very beautiful location, but once you're there, you're there. It's too far to easily get to town or to visit other restaurants and bars.

9. Location certainly is everything. You'll want to do a bit more research to find out what part of the island would suit you best.

If you want more detailed answers, an idea of your budget and what sort of location you are looking for would really help. We all want to help you to find the perfect place for your visit to Ambergris Caye.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
51 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay on Ambergris in mid July?

Oh...sorry...I guess I should have thought of that. Our budget is about $250/nt give or take...we are a family of 4 with 2 daughters over 17. The location we are looking for is definitely NOT in the middle of town but also not so far away that we can't explore every day. I don't care if it is a guesthouse, rental or small hotel as long as we have our own full bathroom. I DO NOT want a big hotel or all-inclusive resort although I'm pretty sure there aren't any on Ambergris anyway...which is a major reason why we want to go there.

Just in case it matters; we definitely want to go to the blue hole for at least 1 dive. Mostly though we will probably just snorkel.

new york
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay on Ambergris in mid July?

We are going to be there around the same time. After TOO much reseach we just booked Athen's Gate. The reviews are great and they were really so wonderful to deal with. The place is new and all rooms are oceanview. It is rated #2 on trip advisor and I think this place will be a lot more expensive in a year as I predict rates will go up when word gets out and not so new. It is about 15 minutes from town on golf carts and you can rent carts right from them.

I was looking at Coco beach resort. Great pool, so so reviews, but almost double the cost of Athen's Gate and harder to get to town on cart.

Don't know if this helps since I'm not speaking from experience! Enjoy your adventure!!!

Lafayette, Indiana
Level Contributor
444 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay on Ambergris in mid July?

My family of four traveled to Ambergris Caye for our first time in July 2012, and stayed at Xanadu. It is just over a mile south of town, and we loved it!

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
897 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay on Ambergris in mid July?

mkhoff, your daughters would probably not want to be so isolated as Tranquility Bay for sure. Athens Gate as mentioned above is a lovely property but no snorkeling from the beach. The best snorkelling truly is on guided tours to the reef and marine park (Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley) where you'll be absolutely blown away by the experience. Here's a really good guide to accommodations ambergriscaye.com/pages/lodge/lodging.html#hv although from what you are saying, I might suggest you contact one of the property management companies as a condo might suit you well. If you want to stay south, Xanadu certainly is lovely and in that area you'll find Banyan Bay and Mata Rocks all worth having a look. Good luck and feel free to ask further questions as you gather more information.

Edited: 23 March 2014, 23:40
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
373 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay on Ambergris in mid July?

Though maybe too isolated for your needs (it's up north as well), we really enjoyed the X'tan Ha. Great beach.

8. Re: Where to stay on Ambergris in mid July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2015, 04:16