We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oasis del caribe or sunset beach???

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
oasis del caribe or sunset beach???

hi

I think I've narrowed down my search of condos & can't decide between Oasis Del Caribe or Sunset Beach.

I'm a little concerned that Oasis might be too close to town but not sure how far Sunset either. We like to be able to walk (a mile walk is not a big deal) to town but not sooo close that it's noisy or crowded. Also, not sure which property has the nicer beach.

would appreciate any thoughts or opinions from you experienced folks.

thanks

Meryl

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,955 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: oasis del caribe or sunset beach???

Sunset Beach is close to three miles south of town. The last mile or so on an unpaved road. Only a few restaurants and a small grocery store within easy walking distance.

Neither property has what I consider a good beach. Both have nice pool areas. Sunset Beach does have loungers on the beach itself, but, I think there's a sea wall, at least in front of part of the property.

There's a road between Oasis and the ocean. Not heavily traveled since Middle Street has been paved, but, there are some golf carts and a few cabs.

I've not been inside either property, so, no help there. I much prefer the location of Oasis. I'm rarely up there at night, but, I can't imagine that area would be noisy. Easy walk downtown. Also a very short walk to a couple of fun beach bars.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: oasis del caribe or sunset beach???

thanks for the info!! Based on what you said I think I'll reconsider my opinion about staying on the north side of the bridge. Can anyone recommend any condos that are north of the bridge but within a 2 mile walk of town? I'd like to keep the price around $200 per night if I can

thanks

Meryl

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,955 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: oasis del caribe or sunset beach???

Realize that the bridge is about 3/4 of a mile north of downtown San Pedro. So, a condo that is two miles north of the bridge is closer to three miles to downtown.

Just across the bridge is Landings at Tres Cocos, Grand Caribe about a mile north of there, perhaps a bit more.

White Sands Cove, El Pescador are probably within two miles of the bridge. I'm not sure how far Captain Morgan's is. North of there is Belizean Shores and Coco Beach, but, they're both more than two miles.

Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oasis del caribe or sunset beach???

Also realize that walking the beach at night north of the bridge after dark isn't a great idea. Walking the road is unpleasant too.

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: oasis del caribe or sunset beach???

...and dark happens at 6:30pm at this time of year.

Edited: 19 July 2014, 14:07
Indy
Level Contributor
966 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: oasis del caribe or sunset beach???

We've stayed at Oasis del Caribe and noise was never an issue. It is a great location.

Elk Grove...
Level Contributor
552 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: oasis del caribe or sunset beach???

May I ask why you say it is not safe to walk along the beach north of the bridge at night? When we were there last week, we walked from Aji to our cabana at Cocotal Inn 2 different evenings. We had flashlights and never felt unsafe or uncomfortable at all.

8. Re: oasis del caribe or sunset beach???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2015, 05:15