We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xanadu vs. Captain Morgan & Additional Info

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Xanadu vs. Captain Morgan & Additional Info

My fiance and I are considering heading to Belize Oct. 13 - 20 for our honeymoon and I think we've narrowed the hotels down to Xanadu and Captain Morgan (unless anyone has better suggestions, that is). I am a diver but he is not, so we will probably be spending a fair amount of time on the beach reading, sleeping, snorkeling and kayaking. We both love to visit the "real" parts of cities, so we'll look forward to heading into San Pedro and possibly doing some of the other tours.

Which hotel would you suggest and why? Are there any tours, restaurants or bars that are a MUST SEE in Ambergris Caye while we're there? Finally, how expensive are meals and drinks in the area?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

Magen

Mentioned in this post
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
Mundo Maya Jungle Tours
River Rafting & Tubing, Eco Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Creative Tours Belize
Scuba & Snorkeling, Fishing Charters & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Tanisha Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xanadu vs. Captain Morgan & Additional Info

Personally, I would pick Xanadu. It is south of the cut, and easily accessible to town. I walk well south of there each day from town, without a problem. Also, golf carts and taxis are very easy. Must see restaurants--a whole bunch. Okay, short list--Blue Water Grill, El Patio, Sunset Grill, Estelle's, Caramba, Ambergris Delight (tell Kevin Mr. Bill says hi), the Reef, Waraguma,must do--Rojo Lounge. There are a lot of others, but these are our favorites. Prices, think Florida. You can do better on food at the stalls at Central Park, etc. Depends on what you want. Oh, Xanadu is beautiful! There is a great grocery just behind the resort, and you are not far from Caye Coffee and the Sausage Factory. Captain Morgan's is pretty, but has a reputation as a time-share, and not great on customer service. It is also a boat ride to town.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Water Grill
Blue Water Grill
2,678 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Sunset Grill
Sunset Grill
171 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
The Reef
The Reef
104 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Florida
Florida
United States
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xanadu vs. Captain Morgan & Additional Info

I'm with Kris on this one. Although I'd give Captain Morgan's higher marks than she seems to. It is a nice looking property.

However, if you want to spend time in town, it's just so much easier from Xanadu. And Xanadu is a lovely property.

You'll get a lot better feel for the locals and the town, staying south of the 'cut'.

As far as restaurants, I'd add the burritos and Sunday barbeque at BC's. We've also had decent meals at Celi's, also their beach barbeque is cheap and good.

You can spend a small fortune on food, we dropped US$60.00 on lunch at Rojo Lounge a couple years ago, and that was just one salad, one orders of conch fritters and two beers. We've also had absolutely wonderful meals for less than $5.00US at various local establishments.

Imported liquor is expensive. The local beer runs US2.50 and up depending on where you are. The beach bars in town are $2.50 or so, I think Captain Morgan's was over $4.00US. Local rums are cheap and very good.

My favorite tour out of Ambergris is the day long tour of the ruins at Lamanai with Tanisha Tours. Long day, wonderful ruins, good wildlife sightings, and a wonderful tour guide.

Congrats on your wedding.

Mentioned in this post
Tanisha Tours
Tanisha Tours
52 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
las vega, nv
Level Contributor
490 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xanadu vs. Captain Morgan & Additional Info

Gow with Xanadu! It is a beautiful property, very lush and tropical. All rooms are actually condos with full kitchens with every utensil you need, including a blender and microwave. Go with Room 15, we stayed there last December for 18 days. Even though it is listed as a "garden view" you still have views of the ocean. It is on the second level, but is actually a two-story condo. We spent major hours on the balcony/porch enjoying the view and ambience. The staff at Xanadu are fabulous! They will assist with all excursions and have great guides. Must do the ruins, cave tubing (both on the mainland) and sail/snorkel/BBQ catamaran trip. Ditto with Blue Water Grill (great lobster!) and also try Elvi's. Food and drink are rather expensive, but if you want to save, you can buy groceries and cook part of your meals. Do try Caye Coffee (we loved it, brought home 5 pounds, still drinking it and remembering Xanadu when we smell it brewing) and the sausage Factory next door. I too have heard that Captain Morgan's is real pushy about time shares.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Water Grill
Blue Water Grill
2,678 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
California
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xanadu vs. Captain Morgan & Additional Info

My husband & I celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary on August 1, 2008 and we stayed at Captain Morgan's during our stay on Ambergris Caye. It is a nice property, with lots of hammocks, but you are pretty far from town (about 3 miles). 10 years ago the only way to get to San Pedro was a water taxi (at the time $20 one way), or a man-pulled barge (literally a barge you stood on while a man pulled a robe to crosse a deep river (mosquito infested!), which closed at 8pm. We wished we had stayed closer to town as we enjoy walking around, it's a very fun village. If you truly don't want to leave the resort than Captain Morgan's is fine (the food was OK as I recall--again 10 years ago), but if Xanadu was closer I'd go with that for that reason specifically.

Have a great honeymoon. I just finished watching our dive video from our honeymoon with our 4 year old twins--it brought back the best memories! The diving is fantastic.

Mentioned in this post
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
New York, New York
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Xanadu vs. Captain Morgan & Additional Info

I can only speak of Captain Morgan's. I stayed in North Ambergrise Caye in July at Belizian Shores. What I loved about the island north of town..is you walk along the beach from resort to resort and have meals/drinks at the various resorts...there are not many stand alone restaurants. Many of the resorts are time share, but you wouldn't necessarily know it. We ate at Captain Morgan's a few times and the food was great, especially the breakfast, which was cheap. They have a dive shop that runs all sorts of tours that is connected to the Sun Breeze hotel in town. If you stay up North, definately ride bikes into town one day.

The north part of the island is quiet, but I found town to be much like any other island town, while the North was beautiful and had great restaurants & scenary. The tour operators pick you up at your hotel, so if you into doing tours and goign to dinner it wouldn't matter too much that you are a ferry ride from town.

We found the food to be NYC price...not cheap compared to the mainland. Our favorite restaurants were Capricorn & Rojo Lounge.

Mentioned in this post
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,157 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xanadu vs. Captain Morgan & Additional Info

When you stayed near Capt Morgan's did you eat at either of the other 2 nearby restaurants there? We're going in April. We'll eat in town a few nights but would like the option to walk to a couple of other places with good food. I opted for Capt Morgan's because the beach looked nicer and we prefer quieter locations. Many posters have noted the time share salespeople did not hassle them. We are always up front and let them know we own more real estate than we need or want already, usually does the trick.

buffalo, ny
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Xanadu vs. Captain Morgan & Additional Info

Just got back yesterday from our honeymoon in San Pedro. I would suggest Xanadu. Captain Morgans is not close to San Pedro and although they run a water taxi (boat) from the resort, you are limited to their schedule. I dont believe they do much after dark. Xanadu is close enough to walk, or bike to town, but far enough for quiet as well. Some great restaurants are Mango's, Caliente, Blue Water Grill, Elvie's.... We dove with Chuck and Robbie's, they are the best. Small groups, personal, laid back. Stay away from Amigo's del Mar and Aqua Dives, big, crowded, unfriendly money machines on the island. Also, Searious to snorkle Hol-Chan and Shark Ray Ally....a must!!!

Mentioned in this post
Blue Water Grill
Blue Water Grill
2,678 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
942 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Xanadu vs. Captain Morgan & Additional Info

Hi:

Just got home last week from San Pedro and we stayed at Xanadu. 6 girls and we all loved it there. It was all our first time there and we felt very safe there. They have a gorgeous pier you can swim off from ... we were bummed we only got to stay 3 nights there.

9. Re: Xanadu vs. Captain Morgan & Additional Info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 12:25