We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weight Limit on Tropic Air

wisdoc
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Weight Limit on Tropic Air

When I looked at Tropic Air's website they say the baggage weight limit is 35lbs. Is that true? We are traveling with a 2-year-old and we tend to pack bags closer to 50 lbs to have more hands available! Thanks for any information!

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weight Limit on Tropic Air

If you look at my photos you will see the size of the luggage holds on Tropc Air planes, hence the requirement for the weight limit. However you really do not need much in the way of clothing at Ambergris Caye, it is all very laid back and relaxed. It is also so sandy you will only need open sandals and trainers for foot wear. So you and spouse will probably be well able to be within the 35Lb weight limit, but junior might need more for baby food, etc. Also 50lb bags are not much fun for the baggage handlers.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weight Limit on Tropic Air

wisdoc....thanks for pointing that out. With my diving, OH fishing gear and his snorkeling gear...along w/ some snacks we usually pack from home, I usually exceed the 50lbs for 10 plus days. On many Caribbean trips we also try to bring along some school supplies for local kids. I've never had a problem before but had better scale down this time!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,566 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weight Limit on Tropic Air

We usually travel pretty light, but did have one 50 pound bag this trip. Looking around, there were lots of large bags. Tropic never said a word. However, all of our bags didn't make it on our flight from BZE, we had to wait 10 or so minutes for the next plane. Not a big deal.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weight Limit on Tropic Air

Unless this is a new policy, there has never been a problem with larger bags. Returning one year we had a 57 lb bag, and no one said anything. We offered to switch some things around at BZE, but they said it was fine. We generally travel with one 26" and one 29" for 2 people.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
96 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weight Limit on Tropic Air

Thanks to the OP for pointing this out. I usually worry about the domestic trips and their weight limits/paid baggage. I didn't even think about internal Belize flights.

Those of you who have done this, do they let you bring 2 bags per person? Our scuba gear takes up a bag each, and if they want 35 lbs., that means a smaller suitcase each for clothes instead of one big one.

Thanks,

PHXscuba

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,566 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weight Limit on Tropic Air

We have friends who come for the winter with four large bags (two each). They've not any issues.

wisdoc
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weight Limit on Tropic Air

Thanks for everyone's reply. We will probably risk having our stuff weigh extra. The weight of everything, especially with our daughter's stuff, just adds up so quickly!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,566 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weight Limit on Tropic Air

We flew Tropic yesterday, one of our bags was 45 or so pounds. Lots of other large bags. It wasn't an issue.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weight Limit on Tropic Air

I'm feeling better, Thanks! It's hard for me to go Island hopping without some basics and w/ the fishing and diving gear it adds up quickly. We've come to realize if we have to pay more for extra weight it's worth it in the end!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weight Limit on Tropic Air

wisdoc - sometimes, if the Tropic flight is full of divers and their gear, Tropic will put some luggage on another flight. I've seen them add 2 more "1:00pm" flights to accommodate everyone and their luggage. So you may be on one plane, but close behind may be your luggage. Several times, upon arrival on Ambergris Caye, my luggage was delayed. Each time, I went on ahead to my hotel and my luggage was delivered later.

Get answers to your questions about San Pedro
Recent Conversations