We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a place just like Ambergris Caye

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Looking for a place just like Ambergris Caye

My husband and I have spent several wonderful vacations with friends on Ambergris. We enjoy fishing, snorkling, renting a golf cart and cruiing the entire island. We love the casual atmosphere and freedom that Ambergis provides. That said, it's time for us to find a new destination. Does anyone know of a plce that is similar?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a place just like Ambergris Caye

Isla Mujeres, just off the coast of Cancun, is somewhat similar. Golf carts for rent. It's busier, and recently has had a couple fairly large, very out of place all inclusives open up on the island.

But, it has beautiful beaches, wide assortment of hotels. Loads of wonderful restaurants, generally cheaper than Ambergris.

Hidalgo, which is the main 'drag', gets pretty busy as night, ast least during high season. The street is blocked off and the restaurant tables pour out into the street. It's fun.

We also enjoyed San Andres, an island off the coast of Nicaragua, but actually part of Colombia. Once again, beautiful beach, a very nicely done pedestrian walkway, lots of hotel options, good restaurants. Also, like Ambergris, another smaller island--Isla Providencia to expolore. Although Providencia is far enough away that you need to fly and spend a night or two.

One of these days we'll make it to the Corn Islands off the coast of Nicaragua. They sound awesome as well.

Happy travels.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a place just like Ambergris Caye

If you wanted to see more of Belize, then you could do the same things in Placencia... I've always found Cozumel to be a fun place. And Isla would be nice too.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a place just like Ambergris Caye

Roatan

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a place just like Ambergris Caye

Placencia is very nice though don't expect the choice of restaurants and accommodation that you have on AC. For my taste it is a lot better, much more charm and old style Belize, more Carribbean in feel. You'll find a good choice of high and lower end accommodation, though not so much in the mid price range, but because everything just about is on the beach you will be bound to find a good location. The fishing is much better in the south, especially the permit fishing, as it gets nothing like the same pressure. You are further from the reef, but closer to whale shark spotting and inland adventures. You can rent golf carts but they are not a big feature of life as the sidewalk, which is one of the two main streets, is for walking only.

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
560 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a place just like Ambergris Caye

Caye Caulker, Belize

Hopkins, Belize

Little Cayman

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,861 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a place just like Ambergris Caye

check out Roatan!

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a place just like Ambergris Caye

Holbox Island ( pronounced Holbosh )

http://www.holboxisland.com/

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a place just like Ambergris Caye

Agree with Roatan. Definitely look into it..

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a place just like Ambergris Caye

look at the pearl islands/panama.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
717 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a place just like Ambergris Caye

I have heard, but cannot confirm because I have not been there as yet, that Vieques in Puerto Rico is pretty cool and has a great "island feel".