We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour of Chac Balam or Marco Gonzalez on Ambergis

Boston
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tour of Chac Balam or Marco Gonzalez on Ambergis

Have done some mainland sites, but going to be on Ambergis in San Perdro next week. Any info or recommnedations about seeing these sights?

Belize Food Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips
Mundo Maya Jungle Tours
River Rafting & Tubing, Eco Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour of Chac Balam or Marco Gonzalez on Ambergis

i suspect there arent any tours as such but you may find a local tourguide to take you there. I know there has been talk of improving access to the marco gonzalez site but not sure if it was ever completed, very marshy to get to. all sites on ac are very minor as i understand it. you may be able to see something on gmaps or gearth.

ambergriscaye.com/pages/mayan/ambergmaya.html

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour of Chac Balam or Marco Gonzalez on Ambergis

While Marco Gonzalez is officially a protected site it is still in the beginning stages of development.

Here is a link to an article with Pictures …blogspot.com/2010/07/exploring-marco-gonzal… The entrance to Marco Gonzalez Maya Site has been greatly improved thanks to the hard work and dedication of Jan Brown and crew. Jan is really working hard to make the site an Eco friendly place that we can all enjoy and learn from.

Back in July The Field School in Archaeology at Marco Gonzalez, Belize is a hands-on training class aimed at preparing students how to accomplish all aspects of archaeological field and laboratory work. It is supported by the Department of Anthropology and the Office of International Programs at the University of North Carolina Wilmington.

Marco Gonzalez Maya Site: Belize’s 1st Maya Archeological Reserve on an island. http://ambergrisdaily.com/?s=marco+gonzalez

Boston
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour of Chac Balam or Marco Gonzalez on Ambergis

Very helpful - especially the link. Thks

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour of Chac Balam or Marco Gonzalez on Ambergis

Glad it was helpful PapaRon I can always put you in touch with Jan Brown too if you want just pm me for that.

illinois
Level Contributor
559 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour of Chac Balam or Marco Gonzalez on Ambergis

Great reference to Mayan history. Incredible that they had the organiztion to dig a canal across an island 1600 years age.

6. Re: Tour of Chac Balam or Marco Gonzalez on Ambergis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2011, 05:17