We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Belize..........Need help please

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mooresville,NC
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time to Belize..........Need help please

Looking to visit December 1 - 5. My husband loves to fish, and I love the beach. We do not want to stay anywhere very crowded, thinking about renting off of VRBO. We would also like to do a jungle tour. Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also any definite things to bring, worried about rain. Looking forward to our trip, probably staying on Ambergis Caye..................

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,941 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Belize..........Need help please

Most resorts/hotels/condos on Ambergris Caye are small properties and aren't very crowded. Your biggest decision is deciding how close to town you would like to be.

North of the bridge is quieter. More secluded. You'll be more limited in terms of restaurant choices.

South of town is pretty quiet as well, although there is a road, so access to town is much simpler.

For a jungle tour, consider a trip to the Mayan ruins at Lamanai. Long day, but lots of wildlife to see, and the journey there is awesome.

I've only been the early part of December once, the weather was fine. Even if you get a bit of rain, it probably won't ruin your day.

What kind of fishing is your husband interested in?

Give us some idea of your budget for accommodations and we can give you some ideas.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Belize..........Need help please

Pack a few sizes of Ziploc bags for easy protection of things like wallet and camera - works great for rain and on boats.

Consider a light hoodie in case of cooler weather at night - check in closer to the time you are coming and see how evening temps are.

Links to rainfall and December Weather in Belize

http://belize-guide.info/weather/rain/

http://belize-guide.info/weather/december/

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
749 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Belize..........Need help please

Check out The Island Cottage....That is where we are staying in NOV. As we have similar interests... K likes to fish & I like the beach. We are looking into a couple of tours also...we like to get out on the ocean @ least 2x per trip. I checked out the date calendar & its open for your dates--so far. Cute, cozy, quiet place. Good Luck!!

KNK

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
749 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Belize..........Need help please

Oh you cannot fish off the the dock/pier. But your H can wade right in & fly fish--( or other? ) for the bone fish--as they like the shallow waters of the south end. K is overly excited about the bone fishing:0)

KNK

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,865 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Belize..........Need help please

Of course you can fish off a pier or dock. I've caught many meals that way

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,941 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Belize..........Need help please

I think it depends on the dock. Some places have artificial reefs off the ends of their docks and have 'no fishing' signs posted.

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
749 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Belize..........Need help please

No you cannot fish off of "our dock" of where we are staying the dock @ The Island Cottage. .....already asked the owner. But she said we can--wade in & fish that way:)

8. Re: First time to Belize..........Need help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 04:15