We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leave our jewelry at home??? Wi-Fi? Liquor store?

Becker, MN
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Leave our jewelry at home??? Wi-Fi? Liquor store?

We will be staying at Las Terrazas in a week and I'm wondering about the safety of our jewelry. When I visited travel.state.gov researching Belize it said to leave jewelry at home. We wouldn't be taking extra jewelry, but is it safe to wear our wedding rings, watches and a bracelet?

Does anyone know if there is free Wi-Fi at the resort? I'm thinking about taking my laptop in case of an emergency so we can Skype if necessary.

We will be placing an order with Mata Grande to have some groceries delivered to the resort. I noticed that a case of beer is $42 on their website. Should I order beer from them, or will there be a liquor store near our resort? If $42 is the going rate that's fine, just curious.

Thank you!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leave our jewelry at home??? Wi-Fi? Liquor store?

unless things have changed you wont be skyping in belize. you never want to look prosperous in a tourist area, it drives prices up. thefts can happen, when they are given the opportunity. betcha the property knows if they have wifi. you get beer at the distributor south of town and you buy the local rum at shops in town. anything imported is pricey. stop at the duty free at the airport

Becker, MN
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leave our jewelry at home??? Wi-Fi? Liquor store?

Thanks Katzgar. The beer I was referring to is Belikin, which I believe is the "local" beer. Hadn't thought about the duty free, but will certainly check it out. I tried calling the resort last week regarding wi-fi, but couldn't get through. I thought maybe someone who has stayed at the property would be able to save another phone call.

Having never been to Belize, when you refer to the distributor south of town, where would this be in relation to Las Terrazas? Haven't had time to take a close look at a map yet.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,138 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leave our jewelry at home??? Wi-Fi? Liquor store?

The beer distributor is south of the airstrip, right in San Pedro. A case of Belikin there is about US$25.00. If you drink a lot of beer, it's quite a savings, if a case will you, I'd just let Mata Grande deliver it.

I'm not real familiar with the north. I don't think there's a decent sized grocery store very close.

A friend of mine literally had her necklace ripped from her neck a few months ago as she was walking into a restaurant for lunch. They caught the guy, but, he'd managed to get rid of the necklace. That's a very isolated incident, and the only one of its kind I've ever heard of.

My fingers swell down here, I leave my rings at home. I wear a cheap watch, I seem to have trouble remembering to take it off when I snorkel. It's amazing how resilient a $20.00 watch can be.....

Skype is still blocked as far as I know. There are ways around it, I've never bothered. You can rent a cell phone cheaply and call the US for not very much money if you need to.

Las Terrazas is four miles north. Relatively isolated, other than other resorts. Beautiful property.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leave our jewelry at home??? Wi-Fi? Liquor store?

The Belikin Distributor is a mile south of town. Las Terrazas is 4 miles north.

texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leave our jewelry at home??? Wi-Fi? Liquor store?

I'd leave the jewelry at home - then you don't even need to worry about it - it's not a place where you need to dress up anyway. A watch is all you need. Internet connections in San Pedro are slow at best no matter where you stay - it comes and goes. I don't think there are any liquor stores on the north side so delivery might be a good idea or pick it up on your way.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leave our jewelry at home??? Wi-Fi? Liquor store?

Always leave jewelry at home...even if you're at home. It's just better not to have it. Skype works sometimes, and most times it doesn't, although most people I know have installed the hotshield vpn, so it works everywhere I've been.

Have a great trip!

Becker, MN
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leave our jewelry at home??? Wi-Fi? Liquor store?

Thank you everybody for your input. I downloaded the hotshield vpn last night and really appreciate the heads-up on that! We are really excited for the trip!

8. Re: Leave our jewelry at home??? Wi-Fi? Liquor store?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2013, 10:22
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro
Recent Conversations