We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Taxi or Flgit?

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
67 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Water Taxi or Flgit?

We are visiting Belize for the first time in February. After spending an active week in Cayo district we will be heading to San Pedro for some beach time. At the moment we're planning on using the water taxi from Belize city to get to Ambergris mainly because we thought it might be a more interesting experience than the flight and it doesn't seem to take that much longer. I've since read though that the water taxis can be crowded or uncomfortable. Not really sure what to expect, do you get a seat or is it a question of finding a space on deck if you can? Would we be better off getting a fllight? We don't mind 'roughing' it if it's a worthwhile experience, but on the other hand if it's horrible, we would rather do the flights. Or should we do taxi one way and flight back at the end of the trip? Any insider info would be appreciated!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,957 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Taxi or Flgit?

I'm probably the one who said the water taxi is crowded and uncomfortable. There are benches that you sit on. They have cushions. Depending on where you're sitting, you really can't see much. The trip is all inside the reef, so it isn't that rough. Takes about 90 minutes.

The flight from the Municipal airstrip takes 20 minutes.

The water taxi isn't awful, I'd take it again, depending on circumstances. it's just easier to fly.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,093 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Taxi or Flgit?

You do get a seat on the water taxis -- passengers don't sit on the deck.

The worst part of the trip might be the bus trip to get to Belize City. Because of that, you might prefer to fly from Belmopan -- look on the website of Tropic Air for schedules & fares.

UK
Level Contributor
67 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Taxi or Flgit?

We would be doing a private transfer rather than a bus so that's not an issue. Just a question of whether the water taxi is a worthwhile experience in itself.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Taxi or Flgit?

You could always do a shorter water taxi experience with a day trip to Caye Caulker. This way you will not have to deal with schlepping luggage and being tired after a long day of travel.

Rahway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
329 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water Taxi or Flgit?

We are a currently planning the transportation end of our trip. We're a group of 7 looking to fly out of San Pedro to the Belize City Municipal Airstrip. Our flight back to the US out of Belize City International is at 12:35 PM. Tropic & Maya seem to have flights hourly, starting at 7 AM (although Tropic's are 20 minutes and Maya's are 40, huh?). Which one would we need to get to safely make our plane? We then need to get a cab for about $35 from Airstrip to International, right? Or should we fly directly into International from San Pedro?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,957 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water Taxi or Flgit?

You can save a considerable amount of money flying into Municipal. You need to be at the international airport two hours ahead of your flight. The cab ride (you may need two cabs) will take 20-30 minutes. Cost is $25-30.00 per cab.

That said, I've always seen flown directly to BZE from San Pedro. Just too easy.

Rahway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
329 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water Taxi or Flgit?

Hi Jean,

Thanks - so you mean you normally fly directly into International rather than Municipal?

I assumed 2 hours aheard, but are the Tropic/ Maya flights typically on time - as in, could we take the 7 AM flight that should arrive at 7:20, get the cab to International, and expect to arrive there around 8 AM?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,957 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water Taxi or Flgit?

I've only flown Tropic, their flights are pretty consistently on time. In fact, last year I think we left 20 minutes early, since all the passengers had checked in and the plane was loaded. We got to BZE before we were scheduled to leave San Pedro.

We've always flown straight to BZE for our flights home. But, there's only one or two of us.

UK
Level Contributor
67 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water Taxi or Flgit?

Thanks to those who responded to my original post (before the thread was hijacked....)

Ellenwood
Level Contributor
115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Water Taxi or Flgit?

I posed a question about water taxi time from BZE to San Pedro and was told about 90mins. I'm seeing the same timeframe on these posts. I just called to confirm my hotel reservations for Sunday and was asked how I was getting there. I informed I was going by the water taxi. Was told by the hotel owner that water taxi would take 3 hrs and he could get me on Mayan Island Air for $68. How much of the info he gave me is true? Or is he possibly getting kickbacks from the airline? Called airline directly and was given $149 one way. Does he possibly have some arrangements with them?