We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ambergris Caye Water

richmond
Level Contributor
169 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Ambergris Caye Water

First timers to Belize so I have some questions & hope you all can help.

- Did I read correctly that you can't walk into the water for a splash, no matter where you're staying?

- Would prefer to walk or use a golf cart to get to SP instead of waiting for boats. How far away from town could we be to use a golf cart?

-Heard that you shouldn't be in SP after dark. Then what happens for dinners? Have I heard wrong?

-Looking at several resorts but really don't need a complete kitchen. Is this the norm? Looking at Grand Caribe, Blue Reef ,Portofino, among others. "Ramon's" just looks FUN - with all the thatched roofs. Are there negatives to Ramon's?

Thanks so much. I know you all with be a great help!

Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ambergris Caye Water

You can walk into the water ANYWHERE. However, some people do not like the eel grass. Sorry, turtle grass. Most people swim off the docks. You seem to be able to walk down anyone's dock and jump in the water into maybe 4-6ft deep water. The kids from town seem to swim around all of the docks. Whern I am there, I get enough salt water diving for several hours everyday so I prefer to swim in the pool.

Sp has always seemed safe to me. I would probably not use the ATM after dark or wear fancy jewlery. I also would not walk the beach at night outside of the busy part of town.

The water taxi is definately the way to go at night if you are far from town.

Ramons is loud and tacky. They have obnoxious TVs around town adventizing themselves. We prefer the area north of town since we go to bed early and wake up early. It is ALWAYS quiet.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ambergris Caye Water

Water taxi would be the best choice. You can walk all around the town. It should be safe. Like always, use common sense, and like mentioned above, don't wear flashy jewelry. I'd stay away from the bars that are open really late, like jaguars and big daddy's.

Another vote against ramon's. Tacky, and their jumbotrons really detract from the island. You can wade in just about anywhere. There won't be waves, and there will be seagrass. Somebody on another thread raved about Blue Tang. Check them out.

Have a fun time!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ambergris Caye Water

I live a mile south of San Pedro for three months every year. We walk everywhere. If we happen to be out past about 10pm, we take a cab. We do not walk the beach home at night. We walk the street, lots of people there, walking, biking and driving their golf carts.

Blue Reef and Portofino, your only realistic way into town is the water taxi.

Grand Caribe, you can probably use a golf cart.

Ramon's, you can walk everywhere. I walk by there at least once or twice every day. It really is on a nice stretch of beach. Nice cushions on the lounge chairs. I've heard several times that many people stay there for their first visit, but, when they come back, they stay elsewhere. I don't think it's a bad place to stay, I just think you can get more for your money elsewhere.

If you want to spend a lot of time in San Pedro, I wouldn't stay on far north Ambergris. It's just easier to not have to be dependent on water taxis.

South of town,look at Xanadu or Victoria House. More moderate, look at Caribbean Villas or Coral Bay Villas (this is where I own).

High end in town, look at the Phoenix. I've stayed at Blue Tang. It's a nice place, for the money, I prefer to stay where I have a separate bedroom.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ambergris Caye Water

Xanadu is a nice resort with great customer service and you can probably get a discount on golf carts through them when combining reservations. Ramon's is a bit tacky around town, but pretty nice when you enter the resort. Descent rooms for the money and fun resort atmosphere. It's also within reasonable walking distance of town. Grand Caribe is in a class of it's own and surprisingly affordable for the amenities. You would want a cart to stay there.

richmond
Level Contributor
169 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ambergris Caye Water

Thanks Everyone! You're really helping! I think I'll scratch Ramon's but someone told me about "Portofino", staying in a small (what seems like) beach cabana with NO coffee maker - ah, how can I survive w/o that 1st. cup of java!

6 miles is pretty far out, right?

I love Grand Caribe - have to check on their prices.

Also spotted Belizean Shores resort - any comments?

Sure appreciate your input!

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ambergris Caye Water

Not sure about Portofino, but did stay at Belizean Shores last year. It's located about 4k north of San Pedro, so you would need a cart or take the water taxi. We were there for a week and loved it. Service was great and they have a nice pool area. Food was mediocre at best and overpriced, but you do have a full kitchen and there are good restaurants nearby.

Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ambergris Caye Water

Take a look at El Pescador. It is 1.5m north of town. That equates to a 10 minute water taxi ride or a easy cart ride. It is also DEAD quie at night. We love the intimate small resort feel.

Sandy Hook...
Level Contributor
218 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ambergris Caye Water

No one has yet mentioned Pelican Reef Villas, three miles south of town and would require a golf cart. They have bicycles available at no charge. Wonderful service, clean and comfortable 2- or 3-bedroom condos, small resort, very quiet in the evenings, small pool with a swim-up bar, price is comparable to Xanadu. Price includes a fabulous breakfast menu and they offer great lunches as well. My husband and I were there a few weeks ago for our first visit to Belize and we loved it!

richmond
Level Contributor
169 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ambergris Caye Water

jigzmom - I thought of Pelican Reef but axed it bec. of the 2 bedrooms. Maybe the prices equal out - I'll check.

Actually, bec. my DH is dreaming of trying his hand at bone-fishing, El Pescador was highly rated bec. of their fishing guides. I guess I just thought of it as a "guys place".

Looking into some discounts on air fare & lodging so that we can get the most for our money. Ahhh, then we can figure a way to see some of the ruins or the jungle areas.

Can anyone tell me how much the water taxi charges? Thinking we'll have to head into SP for all of our dinners & of course the inevitable browsing for gifts to bring back home.

You all are great! Trust me, your advice is much appreciated!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ambergris Caye Water

I am guessing you won't find many air/land packages available for Belize. Many of the hotels are simply too small. Many are less than 20 rooms.

I took the water taxi to Las Terrazas a few weeks ago. It's a bit less than four miles north of town. Cost one way was US$7.00. There is a weekly pass available, a couple years ago it was about US$50.00 a week.

I have to say, though, if you think you'll be in San Pedro every night, I'd stay south of town, either walking distance, or a US$5.00 cab ride away (not per person like the water taxi).

Get answers to your questions about San Pedro
Recent Conversations