We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling for non swimmer

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nyc
Level Contributor
27 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling for non swimmer

Hi ,

My husband does not know how to swim but have gone on snorkeling trips before with life jackets. I have heard hoi chan can have rough water. Would you recommend any places for snorkeling where the water is not at rough? Thanks

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling for non swimmer

Mexico rocks is not as strong a current. Or you could let the tour company know and check in on a day that the water is calm as the current will not be as strong. Your guide can also help your husband know which areas will be more comfortable for him at Hol Chan and likely park in a calmer area.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,075 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling for non swimmer

Keep in mind, though, that the currents can be ripping in that part of the world - there have been recent snorkeling deaths in the area so safety is not to be taken lightly. Maybe it's time for your husband to learn to swim! I'm sure you could find lessons for him at a local pool.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling for non swimmer

I've taken quite a few student groups to Hol Chan, and most students had never been before, so they had to wear life jackets for the snorkeling. They still loved it. We still kept an eye on the water conditions before getting in. Just let the operator know ahead of time.

Hopefulist had a great idea about learning!

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling for non swimmer

The water feels very buoyant and it takes no effort to float. I'm not the best swimmer in the world. At first I wore a life jacket, but I took it off after the first trip and was fine.

Liverpool, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling for non swimmer

im a strong swimmer and would never go snorkeling in a forgin country

without a pfd , to many unkonws, in belize the guide goes in the water with you and that is great but there is noone in the boat to watch, so be very careful and use a life vest

Liverpool, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling for non swimmer

im a strong swimmer and would never go snorkeling in a forgin country

without a pfd , to many unkonws, in belize the guide goes in the water with you and that is great but there is noone in the boat to watch, so be very careful and use a life vest

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling for non swimmer

Many people opt for life vests in the water to make it easy. I always wear a float belt, have short fins so helps make less work and I find it is nice to just relax and have something helping me float while I fish watch.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling for non swimmer

HolChan can be rough and usually has a strong current. I would opt for Mexico Rocks or Coral Gardens. Just as nice snorkeling (maybe better?) but not as strong current.

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling for non swimmer

If you go with a reputable tour company that's monitored by the belize tourism board, there's usually two guides on a boat. The companies that I have snorkeled and dived with have been professional and I felt safe.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling for non swimmer

Floatation is a personal choice. And should be carefully considered by each person according to their abilities.

I'm so bouyant I not only do I not use any sort of floatation, but wil be using a weight belt to make deeper diving easier. (Neutral bouyancy)

I'm a photographer and love the chance to shoot underwater, but you need to get close underwater. And get low for shots like this.

weaver-photo.com/czimages/…WP_0012229.jpg

Edited: 10 May 2012, 13:55