We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xanadu vs Pelican Reef

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Xanadu vs Pelican Reef

We are planning a trip to San Pedro for about 4 nights in August with our 2 daughters, 9 and 6 and would appreciated any input! We are debating between Xanadu and Pelican Reef. We usually stay in small, quiet yet nice hotels (no big, all-inclusive types). Kids are mellow.

We like Xanadu for its location and setting, and its eco-consciousness. We're concerned about its lack of beach and restaurant, and proximity to town (this could be a positive or a negative)! We don't want to be isolated, but we like to be away from the crowds.

Pelican Reef -- beach looks to be nicer for kids but I'm not sure if it really matters. It seems to be more isolated.

Thank you so much for any thoughts you may have!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,233 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xanadu vs Pelican Reef

Xanadu is a little more than a mile south of town. Several restaurants within easy walking distance, even for a six year old. True, there is a sea wall in front, not ideal for younger kids. However, you can walk a short distance in either direction and find a nice stretch of beach. North would be at Caribbean Villas, south would be at Banyan Bay. CV would be a bit closer, not much.

I doubt there will be much in the way of crowds anywhere on Ambergris in August.

Pelican Reef is about three miles from town. I think there's one Tex-Mex restaurant within walking distance, plus whatever they have at Pelican Reef.

Personally, I'd go with Xanadu. It seems more tropical. I like the location better. Two grocery stores close by. If you do go with Xanadu, I'd do ocean front, or as close as you can get to the ocean. There's so much foliage on the property that the back units seem to me like they might be dark (I've never been in them).

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
431 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xanadu vs Pelican Reef

Xanadu has my vote

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xanadu vs Pelican Reef

No matter which one you pick, Xanadu has a nice nature walk that the girls will enjoy.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xanadu vs Pelican Reef

Thanks so nuch for all of your input! Xanadu has one room available (#19, toward the back). Is this an issue do you think? Some reviews say back rooms are dark. Thank you!!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,233 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xanadu vs Pelican Reef

I'm not seeing a #19 on the resort map that I looked at.

I'm one of those that said it seems dark in the back. I''ve never been in the units. A friend stays in either 7a or 7b. They seem to like it, they stay for four weeks every year.

I suspect the units in the building with 7a and 7b might be the darkest. The units in the back on the other side of the property might have more light, since there is an alley that connect the beach with the street right off that side of the property. Not much traffic, mostly pedestrians, but, it makes it should mean more light.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xanadu vs Pelican Reef

You're right. I can't see where room 19 is either! I am going to call the hotel. You're not the only one who has said it may seem dark in the rooms in back, but maybe it doesn't matter that much. The pros of the place seem to out weigh the cons. Thanks so much for your help!

7. Re: Xanadu vs Pelican Reef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 13:40
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro
Recent Conversations