We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blogging our trip to San Pedro

Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Blogging our trip to San Pedro

We are back on the island in our condo at Grand Colony for 2 weeks. I've been blogging the trip, reviewing our favorite restaurants and dive instruction/shops etc on TA. If you're interested, please feel free to follow my blog!

http://hokeshappenings.blogspot.com/

Please ask any questions if you like!

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blogging our trip to San Pedro

I enjoyed reading your blog! Thanks for sharing. We are taking our first trip to AC next week, looking forward to it!!

Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blogging our trip to San Pedro

Thanks! I'll blog as much as I can. I've also reviewed a few restaurants and am behind on my reviews a bit so I'll get to that. Off to Caye Caulker for Lobsterfest today!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blogging our trip to San Pedro

Hi there- we just booked our trip for October. I am overly concerned about being able to purchase quality sunscreen and bug spray at a non-ridiculous price (only carry ons for us...) Did the airport duty free have any skin products or was it only booze? I assume the grocery stores will sell it, but I'm worried about expirations and high mark up.

What are you doing for both?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,052 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blogging our trip to San Pedro

On Ambergris, I've found that just plain old OFF works fine. I don't even know what % Deet it is. Most of the beach bars have a can, I use it when I start getting bit.

I don't think I've ever bought Sunscreen there. I confess to not using much, except for my face and when I'm out on a boat. I also don't spend much time lying in the sun....

Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blogging our trip to San Pedro

We brought down loads of sunscreen and not enough bug spray. The skeeters have been terrible when the breeze isn't blowing. The night we went to El Fogon it was like walking into a mosquito nest but the guy at the restaurant went next door and bought spray or we wouldn't have stayed. You can always pack the OFF mosquito wipes which can be packed in carry on. The sunscreen is outrageous here. We bring as much of that stuff down as we can. We are in a condo and bring peanut butter and lots of things like that. A large jar of Jif on the island is $20 US!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blogging our trip to San Pedro

Thanks for the input - I religiously douse myself in sunscreen so il either need to check a bag to bring my own or else figure out another way to get some shipped and delivered to hotel.

I look forward to your blog updates! Enjoy your time with your family!

Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blogging our trip to San Pedro

Thank you Courtney! It's probably cheaper to either check bag and bring some (put it in a large ziploc to be safe) or just buy it here rather than shipping it. I douse myself too and even with 30 spf I am very brown! That's just from the dive boat. Otherwise we are under an umbrella or a palm tree. The sun is VERY hot here!

Keep checking the blog...I'm trying to update every day and also review restaurants here!

Sydney
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blogging our trip to San Pedro

Hi. I arrived in Caye Caulker last night for 5 days and then head to San Pedro. Where did you stay (hotel) in San Pedro and what dive shops do you recommend? I would like to go with a reputable outfit on recommendation if possible.

Thanks so much!!!

Kim

Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blogging our trip to San Pedro

We spent the day in Caye Caulker yesterday. I am updating my blog now with photos from Lobsterfest. We own a timeshare condo at a place called Grand Colony just south of town. Do you have accommodations booked yet or are you looking for recommendations? I would recommend Caribbean Villas which is just south of town on a lovely beach.

We always dive with Venancio (Junior) Tillet at Scuba School Belize. He is one of the absolute best out there. He is finishing off my daughters Jr. Open Water certification today. He used to be a co-owner at Eco Divers but the last time I was there I was so upset at their lack of organization and other things that I left them and went to another dive shop. Junior is fantastic. You should be able to find SSB on Trip Advisor. Let me know what sort of accommodations you are looking for and I can recommend a few places based on your budget.

Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blogging our trip to San Pedro

just updated the blog

…blogspot.com/2012/07/caye-caulker-lobsterfe…