We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of eating out?

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
132 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of eating out?

I'm trying to get an idea of how much we'll be spending on eating it. Haven't picked a hotel yet, but it right now I'm looking at Athens Gate or Grand Caribe Belize Resort and Condominiums. Please let me know...

1.What did you spend on food?

2.Where did you eat?

Thanks

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
560 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of eating out?

Both of those places are quite a ways from town, so you won't have easy access to the local eateries like Secret Deli and Waragumu where you can have huge full local meals for around US$5.00. In order to take advantage of lower priced meals, you will need to get to/from town, that will require a taxi, water taxi, or golf cart rental, which can add to your overall trip and meal cost. You might want to consider provisioning your suites so you can do some self-catering to keep the prices down, and then request Grand Carib's and Athen's Gates menus so you have an idea of what their onsite meals cost.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,672 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of eating out?

Does Athens Gate have any on site food? I didn't realize that.

North of the bridge, where Grand Caribe is, restaurant prices will be similar to the US. The exception may be Akbol, which isn't far from Grand Caribe, but, I've not eaten there.

There isn't much close to Athens Gate, one Tex-Mex place is all that is really close, as in, easy walking distance.

If you get to town, as Stace said, there are lots of cheap options. Also good street food. There are also mid range options, as well as high end.

In town, and high end, I love Wild Mangoes. Also Red Ginger and Blue Water Grill. Mid range, I like Carambas, Elvi's Kitchen, the Reef, Hurricanes.

There are also some cheaper options south of town. Antojitos San Telmo is good and really cheap. El Divino at Banana Beach has some good options (unfortunately, we've also had some bad meals there). Average joe's has really good wings.

Lots of options in all price ranges.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
132 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of eating out?

What hotels are closer to town where we have more dining options? Walking distance....

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
560 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of eating out?

Moderate - SunBreeze, SunBreeze Suites, Blue Tang, Ramons, Belizean Reef

Higher End - The Palms, The Phoenix

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,672 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of eating out?

Or, if you like to walk...about a mile south of town are Xanadu, Caribbean Villas, Coral Bay Villas and Corona del Mar.

Although Stace put the Palms and the Phoenix in together, the Phoenix is much more high end than the Palms....at least in my opinion.

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of eating out?

If you don't need a full service resort, you can continue north of the Phoenix and look at Casa Caracol, Caye Management's apartment (I'm not sure if it has a name) and Oasis del Caribe (disclaimer: I am an owner at Oasis). They all put you within walking distance of inexpensive restaurants serving a variety of Chinese, Guatemalan and Belizean food and will give you easy access to bakeries, delis, grocery stores and fruit and veggie stands for cooking in.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
132 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of eating out?

I was looking at Phoenix, but I didn't like the fact that it doesn't have a private beach.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,672 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of eating out?

No resort on Ambergris has a private beach. You can plop your towel down wherever you like. That said, it is true that the Phoenix has a sea wall in front of it, and you'll have to walk a bit to find beach access. The Phoenix has a gorgeous pool though.....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
132 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of eating out?

Really? So, then certain hotels have direct beach access then? Like, Pelican Reef, Athens Gate, The Palms?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,672 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of eating out?

Yes, there is beach directly in front of the properties you mention. Although the water is very shallow in most places, and there's sea grass growing in the water. Most swimming is done off the docks.

The Palms is right next to Ramon's, which really does have a nice stretch of beach. One where you can walk in and swim. They've cleared some of the sea grass. We used to stay in that area, and pretty much all of our swimming was off of Ramon's. Ramon's also has a small artificial reef off the end of their dock for snorkeling. Not great, but, it's fun. We even saw a couple of nurse sharks under the dock one day.