We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tranquility Bay or Matachica?

Andover...
3 posts
Save Topic
Tranquility Bay or Matachica?

I'm looking for a tropical getaway and these two places seem to be off the beaten path, but I can't seem to decide even though the pricing at Tranquility seems to be much less.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tranquility Bay or Matachica?

Mata Chica is certainly more upscale than Tranquility Bay. Although Mata Chica is several miles north of town, it does have water taxi service, unlike Tranquility Bay.

Many of the people who go to TB are drawn by the fact that it's the only place on Ambergris where it's easy to swim to the reef itself and snorkel.

I've never been in the units at TB, but, have been in the restaurant and wandered around a bit. It looks really nice. I could easily spend a couple of days there. I'm too much of a 'town' person to stay much longer.....

I've never stopped in at Mata Chica, did have lunch next door at Rojo Lounge a few years ago. Excellent restaurant. We actually biked to Rojo, it isn't nearly as isolated at TB.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tranquility Bay or Matachica?

I can't compare having never seen Mata Chica but we just returned last night from a trip (6+ weeks for me) and the week at Tranquility Bay at the end was icing on the cake. The snorkeling from shore was not of the quality on Glover's Atoll or Guanaja, Honduras, but was very good - in addition to the usual cast of characters there was a resident porcupine fish and a beautiful scrawled file fish just out from the restaurant that could be seen over and over and we saw huge barracuda, at least 3 types of rays, an octopus, and a hawksbill turtle. My husband got to cast to permit (didn't land any this time around - they're tough to convince) but landed lots of bonefish fishing on his own including one huge one so he was a happy camper.

The customer service is exceptional, the beach gorgeous, and we loved our 'Budget Travelers' room with an exceptionally comfortable king sized bed - we'll be back.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tranquility Bay or Matachica?

hopefulist you review makes me want to stay there. Do they have wifi in rooms?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tranquility Bay or Matachica?

The wifi is in the overwater bar/restaurant so you have to sit in a cheery room with underwater murals, Bob Marley playing in the background, friendly staff who know your name at your beck and call, wide open to a breezy, gorgeous view of the water out to the reef. Or on the deck over the water; one day 3 manatee came by and every night eagle rays and tarpon feed there by the deck. It's possible that the cabins closer to the bar have wifi; ours was the furthest away and we didn't. The cabins are numbered 2 - 11, 2 being set up the beach behind the bar (not really a bad thing imo but some would avoid it) and the others progressively further away as the numbers go up. We were in 11 which is a few steps further from the beach than the rest and we didn't have the wide open beach view from our room the others have; we'd stay in that one again, though - loved it.

We've loved every place we've stayed in CA, at least in part to TA. That said, we don't often return to the same beachy place trip after trip but we'll be back to Tranquility Bay and likely pack a bunch of best beloveds along with us.

Andover...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tranquility Bay or Matachica?

Thank you so much for the review. I love manatees, which is one of the reasons we are going to Belize. I want to go on a Manatee watch, but knowing there is a possibility of seeing them at TB, that's awesome!!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tranquility Bay or Matachica?

We saw them in the Placencia Lagoon returning from a Monkey River trip, too. :-)

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tranquility Bay or Matachica?

PS I don't think it's common for them to come right near the dock at Tranquility Bay - that was a special treat. They're seen by snorkelers and divers by the split in the reef, though.

Andover...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tranquility Bay or Matachica?

Okay! Thanks so much for all the info!

Level Contributor
377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tranquility Bay or Matachica?

Hopefulist,

Thanks for the great comments! We look forward to seeing you back at Tranquility Bay Resort some time in the near future!

Cheers,

Carlos

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tranquility Bay or Matachica?

I'm not sure how soon, but we'll be back. Haven't had time to write a review, but I'm looking forward to it. Hello to the cast and crew!

Get answers to your questions about San Pedro
Recent Conversations