We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phone rental

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Burlington, Kansas
1 post
Save Topic
Phone rental

I would like to rent a phone for the 2 weeks I am visiting. I was told you could do this?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,755 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phone rental

Contact Diane through this link:

http://www.quicksilverbz.com/

Her prices are very reasonable. Not fancy phones, but, they serve the purpose.

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Phone rental

Just came back from France rented a travelcell.com phone and all incoming calls were free, just paid low rate for the minutes i used, and saved tons over my AT&T phone. they also rent iphones and mifi and aircards for Europe at incredible rates.

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Phone rental

Just came back from France rented a travelcell.com phone and all incoming calls were free, just paid low rate for the minutes i used, and saved tons over my AT&T phone. they also rent iphones and mifi and aircards for Europe at incredible rates.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
427 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phone rental

Do you have AT&T by chance? If so, you can get your current phone unlocked and buy a pre paid digi sim and use it for 2 weeks. Thats the way to go!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,755 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phone rental

AT&T has absolutely awful service in this part of the state of Iowa. 10 years or so ago I bought a phone from them, as well as service. Then, I promptly left the state without realizing how truly awful the service was. It didn't work at all in my house.

It took me dozens of phone calls, many stops at their office, threatening calls from collection agencies for me to get my money back.

It was awful. They're probably fine if there's good reception, but, from what I hear, it's still awful around here.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phone rental

In order to have Digicell mobile cellular service in Belize, an unlocked GSM or Global System Mobile Communication 1900 MHz cellular phone is required.

Belize. Smart phone company requires an unlocked phone with CDMA 800 MHz or 850 MHz technology and will work with Verizon.

Of the major North American cell phone carriers AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM technology which requires a sim card and is compatible with Digicell

A Digicell sim Card costs about $50 bze and you can often get $10 credit on them. Sim cards are also now registered so bring ID to the BTL office when you purchase one and you can get your card in your name so that you can use it every time you come to Belize.

Once you have your phone set up, you can easily top up at local stores in San Pedro with phone cards or by machine. Digicell often does double triple days, $10 – $49.99 will get you double credit and $50 or more will get you triple credit.

Digicell also offers purchase of SMS bundles from your phone by dialing *767 and following the prompts. $5 for 100 SMS, $8 for 200 SMS, $10 for 400 SMS, $15 for 1000 SMS [Please note amount of texts for price is after the automatic ongoing double up]

A while back it was looking like There was a new cell phone company on the horizon that looks like it would work for Belize because they take sim cards, Simple. Anyone have any experience with this cell phone carrier?

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
427 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phone rental

Taco girl sums it up perfect!!! I have an AT&T phone that Is unlocked and I bought a Digi sims a couple years back. I put it in my phone when i land and good to go.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Phone rental

If you plan to rent a car, Crystal will lend you a phone (you can use in emergencies). For other calls you just need to buy minutes. You have to ask for the phone at time of rez and when you pick up the car.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phone rental

Does anyone know how much is cost to rent a phone? I don't have a phone that is unlocked.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phone rental

Go Phone rental cell phones in San Pedro. Only $10 BZ a day includes charger and $10 FREE minutes of talk time with 3 day or more. www.quicksilverbz.com/en/phone-rental.shtml

For those like Auddy who opt for chip and using their own phone, please note that Some areas on the mainland are now 4g which means 3g phones will not work in those spots [unless you know what setting to change I need to figure that out] Older model phones will still work in those areas though. We learned this on our overnight at Belize Zoo and golfing at Roaring River trip.