We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Running/Safety

Iowa
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Running/Safety

We are staying at Ramons Villiage in November. I am a runner and get up the mornings to run 8 to 10 miles. Is is going to be safe for me to day that and is there a place to run? I am a 37 year old female!! Thanks!!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Running/Safety

The road south of san pedro is perhaps 4.5 miles long and paved w/ cobblestones which are pretty smooth. The trail north may be runable for several miles depending on the weather. Try running either direction and see which works. you could also look at things on gmaps to see how things will work.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,138 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Running/Safety

I walk four miles along the beach every morning (almost) that I'm on the island. Sometimes alone, sometimes with my husband. You'll be safe enough, other than sometimes the ground isn't very even.

On the beach, you'll only be able to run about three miles to the south without running into mangroves, but, you could always head to the road once you get to Pelican Reef.

If you head north, you'll cross the bridge after a bit over a mile. Easier to run on the road for a ways up there, then head back to the beach.

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
560 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Running/Safety

What I do not recommend, is what I saw a woman doing yesterday. Jogging south along Middle Street (same direction as traffic) with earphones in. Didn't make any sense to me at all. There can be a lot of traffic in town. I would run the beach from Ramons to Victoria House, then from Victoria up to Boca del Rio/the bridge, then back to Ramons. That should get your miles in. Be sure to stick to daylight.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
427 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Running/Safety

I am a runner too--it's very tough to run on the island. The streets are cobbelstone which makes it for a tough run. I have tried it all and now just leave the running shoes behind....

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Running/Safety

Not a runner but the roads and sidewalks are extremely uneven. I'd hate to twist an ankle or worse on vacation and ruin the rest of my time. Also stay off the roads, drivers are a bit crazy and stop signs are just a suggestion.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
27 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Running/Safety

My husband and I have been visiting San Pedro for about 5 years, and always start our morinings with a run. Due to not being used to the heat and the uneven roads, we keep the runs under 4 miles, but as far as safety, you will be totally fine. I would try going north, cross the bridge and see how that goes for you.

Also, last year when we were in town there was a 5K race that we participated in. It was a lot of fun, mostly locals, about 20 people total, small entrance fee that was donated to a local charity. Look it up, they said they wanted to do it again this year!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
87 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Running/Safety

I would say take a run along the beach near your place of stay since Ramon's is on the beach side. You may have to run the stretch of beach back and forth a couple of times but you can get your miles.

If you would not mind, there are cobblestone roads right at the entrance of Ramons that you can run too.

8. Re: Running/Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro
Recent Conversations