We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tropic or mayan air

fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
tropic or mayan air

Hello, a few questions about the trip from Belize city to San Pedro. Is one airline better than the other? Are planes the same size, how many people? How far is municipal from Godson airport? Confused about baggage limits, website says 62 linear inches??? 30 wide and 15?? height What does this mean? Is a medium sized suitcase ok?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,329 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tropic or mayan air

We have always flown Tropic. Never had a bit of trouble. The planes are the same size and model, some sort of Cessna, about 15 passengers, I'm not sure. Some lucky person often gets to sit in the co-pilot seat.

Municipal airstrip is about a 20-30 minute cab ride from BZE. Cost is US$25.00 per cab, not per person.

I've never heard of Tropic enforcing their baggage limits. Other than the baggage compartment is fairly small, giant bags won't fit. If the plane is full, and there are lots of people heading to Ambergris, your bags may go on the next flight, usually just a few minutes later. Your medium sized suitcase will be fine.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,517 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tropic or mayan air

I've used both over the years, no problem, similar schedules. I think they mean for you to add the dimensions to get to the maximum; for example 30" x 20" x 12" adds up to 62. You can fly from either BZE or the municipal airport; it's cheaper to fly from the muni but might not be worth the extra hassle. Ironically, you might taxi to muni and hop on a flight that lands at BZE before heading to Ambergris - strange that it's cheaper to have the additional flight. Happy trails!

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: tropic or mayan air

The two airports are about 14 km (8 to 9 miles) apart.

fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tropic or mayan air

Thanks great info. Do you have to schedule flights very far in advance given that the planes are so small or are the flights frequent? The schedules say once an hour?My husband is freaked out about the small planes, hows the safety record?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tropic or mayan air

the safety record is just fine.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tropic or mayan air

PS not sure what you are asking as you have the schedule and pics of their planes are on their website?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,329 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tropic or mayan air

We've always had reservations. Tropic flies enough planes to get all the people with reservations to their destinations. If you don't have a reservation, and the planes are full, you might not get where you want to go.

Bridgewater, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: tropic or mayan air

We flew on Tropic and had no issues with our bags. You can actually call them and speak with someone if it will put your mind at ease. My sister called and they provided info that was not on their website. I am not a good flyer and was apprehensive about a small plane. Our plane sat 12 and it was snug. The flight may have been my favorite part of the trip. I liked that we flew low. We could even see sharks in the water. There is so much to look at you forget you are on a plane.We had to stop at Caye Caulker on the way down. That is some airport. It was quite enjoyable. Not like a big jet plane at all!

Phoenix
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: tropic or mayan air

You're good to go with either airline. When we flew from San Pedro to Belize City, we checked both airlines a few days before we left for the mainland. We checked with Tropic Air first then with Mayan Island. Mayan Island's cash price was far cheaper than Tropic's. I think Tropic has to pay for that fancy terminal in San Pedro somehow, so they are probably a few dollars more on average. It's a great flight! The landing strip at municipal is real interesting too. We had to make two passes to land! Enjoy your vacation in Paradise!!

Edited: 17 October 2012, 15:40
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: tropic or mayan air

Re: safety. I try to avoid small planes in the US after being on a flight in the rain. (nothing happened, just my nerves) So I expected to be nervous on this plane, BZE to AC. Guess what? It was awesome. You fly very low so you get a great view (grab a window seat if you can). Not quite as cool as taking a helicopter tour in HI but very cool as a means of transportation.