We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mayan Ruins

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Mayan Ruins

Are there any ruins on the Ambergris Caye or do you have to go to the mainland??

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,747 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mayan Ruins

There is a very small Mayan site on Ambergris. I'm glad to see people are working on it, but, it is not an impressive site.

http://www.marcogonzalezmayasite.com/

I love the day trip to the Mayan site of Lamanai from Ambergris. Long day, but, lots of fun. The past two trips, we've seen manatees on the way. Also, lots of birds, crocodiles. On site, more birds and howler monkeys. The site itself is really neat, also, lots of shade, which is certainly appreciated.

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mayan Ruins

Thank you for your info. We are trying to keep our costs low. Could you take the day tour and go to the mainland by ferry for the day or would that not coordinate with times and locations??

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,747 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mayan Ruins

You could take the water taxi to Belize City and arrange a tour from there. It's a long ways to Lamanai. From Ambergris, it's an hour to the mainland, another 45 minutes by bus/van, then 26 miles up the river on another boat.

If you're looking to save money, Altun Ha is much closer, although a small site. Lots of tour companies would take you from Belize City, but, I don't know any details.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mayan Ruins

We did Altun Ha once by finding a cab driver we liked in Belize city and having him take 4 of us there and do a lunch stop on the way home and a mini tour of Belize city by cab. I do not remember what he charged but it was a fun way to do the tour.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mayan Ruins

Altun Ha tour cost us $60 each. The guide was pleasant but misinformed. It's a very long ride (1 hour and 15 minutes) to go look at a bunch of Rocks for a couple hours. Wife took pictures and I swatted biting flies. She left with pics, and coconut water and I took back a bunch of bug bites. Scratching gave me something to do on the 75 minute ride back to Belize City. Unless you enjoy history and ancient cultures you should probably skip the ruins. The ruins at Tulum in Mexico are spectacular. Belize not so much.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,747 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mayan Ruins

I don't think it's exactly fair to imply that the Mayan sites in Belize aren't worth seeing.

I've never been to Altun Ha.

I have been to Tulum, I've also been to Lamanai in Belize. Lamanai is awesome. Only word to describe the site.

And, my understanding is that Caracol is more spectacular.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
87 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mayan Ruins

There is a Maya Site on Ambergris Caye. It is called the Marco Gonzalez Site. See here for more info https:/…185895718120184

There are also other Maya sites on the mainland. Lamanai is relatively far since you would need to travel to Belize City (1hr to 1.5 hours boat ride), then to Orange walk (1.5 hours bus ride), then a 2 hr boat ride through the new river and that is not including waiting time at the terminals. If you would have the time and money, Lamanai is surely worth a visit.

But if you are on budget in terms of time and money, then Altun Ha is pretty good as well. You would need to travel to Belize City (1hr to 1.5 hours boat ride) and get a guide to take you to the site (which is about 25 miles of highway and 15 miles of a small curvy road)

8. Re: Mayan Ruins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2013, 10:15