We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety

Windsor...
Level Contributor
134 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
safety

In light of the recent murder, how is the safety of tourists? No business owners please. Only Belize residents

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety

nd111, how's the positivity training been going for ya?

The deceased wasn't a tourist, so things are still fine for tourists...as long as they stay away from disturbed fugitives on the run.

Edited: 13 November 2012, 21:42
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety

An American is a person of interest in the murder of another American on Ambergris Caye. The situation has nothing to do with tourism.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,160 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety

I'm somewhere between a tourist and a resident. We're here right now for a couple of weeks. The island doesn't feel any different than it did last winter.

We don't walk the beach at night, but, we never have.......We also don't stay out late and get stupid drunk.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: safety

This is murder number 125 (depending on who's counting) in Belize for 2012.

Regarding the effect on tourist safety, this incident would be way down at the bottom of the list -- I'd say little or no effect.

There have been other incidents which would be of far greater concern to tourist safety than this murder. It seems that of the 125 murders, this one gets more media coverage because it involves an American.

Edited: 13 November 2012, 23:12
Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety

I agree with what has been said above. Been living here almost 7 years now and still feel safe.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
427 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safety

I prefer Belize over anywhere else in the world! I love the people, food, weather, vibe, friends and family. However, I will say there is a different feel for me these days. There is a significant amount of corruption--as a tourist this should not impact you. I have always felt safe--you should be a bit more cautious then Say your home town because you are not familiar with your surroundings. Stay away from certain clubs at night and stay away from "bars". A "bar" is a place where you pay money to be entertained by women--these places can be dangerous and chances are you may get robbed or taken advantage of. I only bring this up because you may enter a "bar " thinking its an innocent place to grab a beer.

7. Re: safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 13:18