We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet Beach and Inshore Fishing?

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
335 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Quiet Beach and Inshore Fishing?

My husband and I are in our 60s and would like to plan our first trip to Ambergris Caye. We are looking for a quieter spot, but not too isolated, with a nice beach and water that's not too rough to get in and out easily. The possibility of doing some snorkeling from the beach and my husband doing some beachside or pier fishing or going inshore fishing with a guide (not deep sea for big sports fish) would make the trip excellent for us.

We will need access to meals at the hotel or nearby and a choice of places to eat would be best, though we would not like to be in a big town. We have a middle-of-the-road budget -- not high end and not backpacker frugal. Some nice little cabanas on the beach would be a plus. We are not drinkers or partiers.

Any suggestion? We don't know where to start to look.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,757 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quiet Beach and Inshore Fishing?

I'd start by reading the reviews of hotels and other lodging on this site. See what looks good to you, check their websites, then come back with specific questions.

South of town will give you easier access to town and its restaurants than staying north of San Pedro.

San Pedro is the only town on Ambergris, just an FYI.

Other than Tranquility Bay, on far north Ambergris, there really isn't much in the way of shore snorkeling. The good snorkeling is done off a boat, out on the reef. There is some ok snorkeling off some of the resort docks, they've built artificial reefs.

Florida
Level Contributor
335 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quiet Beach and Inshore Fishing?

Thanks for your reply. The specific question I was asking was which resorts I should be looking at that might have beach or dock snorkeling (even if an artificial reef -- we are older and cannot take deep water snorkeling ) and also some access inshore fishing and a few restaurants. I work full time and reading every review and every website of all the resorts and hotels on Ambergris Caye is very time consuming. Never having been there, I don't know which are north of town and which are south of town and they don't always say. They don't even say how far they are from town. Lots of them get good reviews on Trip Advisor and look good to me. Is there a website with a map of hotel locations?

Any suggestions anyone on specific hotels or resorts that have an artifiial reef for snorkeling off their beach or dock and accessibility to some inshore or beach or pier fishing and a few restaurants nearby. Thanks.

Edited: 21 January 2013, 21:43
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,757 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quiet Beach and Inshore Fishing?

Ok then.

Ramon's is right on the south edge of town and is a full service resort. Nice stretch of beach. They do have an artificial reef off of their dock.

Caribbean Villas is about a mile south of town. Small pool, nice little beach bar which serves breakfast and lunch. Artificial reef off of their dock. Several other restaurants within a couple of blocks.

I live next door to Caribbean Villas when I'm on the island and see people fishing off the dock north of me (Caribbean Villas is south of me).

The Phoenix is a very nice property on the north side of town. Easy access to lots of restaurants. There is sea wall in front of the property, but, I think people snorkel off the dock next door. Write them and ask.

Any resort you stay at will be able to arrange a guide for some reef fishing.

I'm guessing there are other resorts with artificial reefs. I just don't know about them......

Edited: 21 January 2013, 23:27
Florida
Level Contributor
335 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quiet Beach and Inshore Fishing?

Thank you. This is very helpful. We really want a beach so we'll look into Ramon's and Caribbean Villas. We sincerely appreciate your taking the time to assist us.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,997 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quiet Beach and Inshore Fishing?

You may think it's too secluded for you, but we loved Tranquility Bay. The food was good and reasonably priced and the cabins have kitchenettes so we shopped ahead and prepared many of our own meals, as is our preference. In addition to adorable cabins and a beautiful beach, the big draw for us was unlimited unguided fishing and snorkeling from shore. You can wade out a few feet from shore and enjoy snorkeling and my husband had wonderful luck flyfishing.

www.tranquilitybayresort.com

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Florida
Level Contributor
335 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quiet Beach and Inshore Fishing?

Thanks Hopefulist. We had looked at Tranquility Bay and, from the photos, liked the atmosphere but, as you mentioned, we were worried about being isolated. The snorkeling and beach fishing sounded great to us, but we really don't want to cook while we're on vacation. We like to experience the local cuisine and relax at the end of the day, not cook and clean up. Not having many options for dinners out was the drawback of Tranquility Bay for us. Were there any restaurants at all nearby? We are older and can't walk really long distances. Thanks.

Edited: 22 January 2013, 11:46
Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quiet Beach and Inshore Fishing?

You might like Hotel Del Rio north of town

http://www.hoteldelriobelize.com/

Check their slider pic in website, they have a seawall so their beach is not as good as some of the places Jean mentioned but it is in a nice area and lots of local food options within walking distance.

Also for fishing I recommend Eric at uprising tours 662 – 7413 uprisingtour@yahoo.com – He does snorkeling, fishing, picnics, beach bbq, private charters and sunset cruises.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,997 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quiet Beach and Inshore Fishing?

Only the little restaurant over the water there at Tranquility Bay. The seclusion was a big plus for us but we realize it's not for everyone. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Quiet Beach and Inshore Fishing?

Yesterday I met people who are staying at Belizean Reef, two doors north of Ramon's, who thought they got a great accommodation at a reasonable price and were thoroughly enjoying the snorkeling at Ramon's pier.

You can find most accommodations on these maps... ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/mapdowntowndeta… There is also a mileage chart at the bottom of the page.

Florida
Level Contributor
335 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quiet Beach and Inshore Fishing?

Thank you all for your help. We will check out the map and websites for the other hotels.