We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip to Belize. Water taxi or air.

Ky
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
1st trip to Belize. Water taxi or air.

This is out first trip to Belize and I know I will receive the help that I'm asking for. Our trip is in July and we are staying at the iguana house. Which is cheaper? Water taxi or air. We arrive early morning.

Another question. I read that golf carts are available. We are like 4 miles from town. Will we be able to get one that far out?

Another question what type of alcohol is available?

Can we rent fishing poles?

Any help would be great appreciated.

Thank you

Sharon

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,496 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip to Belize. Water taxi or air.

Water taxi is cheaper -- about US$10 or $15 per person. Don't forget to add the taxi fare from the airport to the water taxi terminal (US$25). You can get the airfare from the websites of the airlines: Tropic Air and Maya Island Air.

Almost all alcoholic flavours are available. Anything specific you're wondering about?

Edited: 01 May 2013, 20:36
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,238 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip to Belize. Water taxi or air.

The water taxi is much cheaper. To my mind, also, much more uncomfortable, but, many people don't mind a bit.

You'll need to take a 20 minute (US$25.00) cab ride to the water taxi terminal. Then, a 75-90 minute boat ride to downtown San Pedro on Ambergris. About US$15.00 one way.

The flight is somewhere around US$75.00 one way, and takes 15 minutes.

In July, the 'road' north could be pretty bad. Many rentals won't allow their carts that far north. Wait until you arrive and see what conditions are like at the time. The water taxi will be about US$7.00 one way to/from town.

Most any kind of alcohol is available, except some of the newer flavored vodkas and such. Belizean made rum is decent and cheap. Any imported liquor is expensive.

The local beer is Belikin. Costs about US$25.00 a case, from the distributor. There are now some other Caribbean beers available, they'll cost 1/3 to 1/2 again as much.

Sorry can't help with the fishing.

Caye Caulker, Belize
Level Contributor
86 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip to Belize. Water taxi or air.

Fly...it's worth every penny...

Ky
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st trip to Belize. Water taxi or air.

Thank you everyone for all the great information. We are looking at possible taking the Ferry that we have read about on here. It sounds like a great way to start our vacation.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st trip to Belize. Water taxi or air.

You could check Captain Sharks and see if they rent poles [as far as I know they do not] Some opt for bringing inexpensive poles and giving them away when they leave or just going with a boat who has everything.

Come companies like Ultimate will rent carts to people staying as far as 4 mile mark.

Another vote for flying. If you want a boat ride consider a dy trip to Caye Caulker. It is shorter and will be more enjoyable when you do have all your luggage after a long day of travel.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st trip to Belize. Water taxi or air.

Hi there...

We just went through the same decision making process. I had settled on the ferry to get us there as yet another plane ride seemed excessive. But in the end we took the flight...here's our reasoning.

1) I spoke with a Belizian resident on the plane from Miami. He recommended the flight due to the ferry operators sometimes trying to hustle visitors. I'm not sure if that is entirely true...but just the thought of having to haggle or deal with that kind of stuff got my guard up.

2) A quick 15 - 20 minute flight means that you can start your vacation on the island sooner. Taking a 90 minute ferry ride sounds fun but may get tedious. Plus the view from the plane is something that you won't regret. The different colors of the Barrier Reef and the other islands is beautiful.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
431 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st trip to Belize. Water taxi or air.

Flight 4sure. It's the biggest no brainer of your trip. You do not want to take the ferry.

Ky
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st trip to Belize. Water taxi or air.

Thank you everyone for your post. We have decided to fly. Can't wait to get our vacation started. Thanks again.

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st trip to Belize. Water taxi or air.

Fly Tropic Air, much nicer planes than Maya

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
55 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st trip to Belize. Water taxi or air.

Tropic Air is only $135.05 U.S. roundtrip. We are definitely flying!