We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

activities in and around San Pedro

San Jose, California
4 posts
Save Topic
activities in and around San Pedro

Hello! I've searched around the forums for advice, but I thought I would write my own question since some of the answers aren't helping me decide!

I will be in San Pedro for 3 full days (the rest of the trip is in San Ignacio, and am planning to visit Caracol and ATM there), and am hoping for advice on any must-see activities. I am planning a trip to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley for snorkeling, but am wondering what else to do. I'm interested in visiting the Blue Hole, but there seems to be conflicting advice as to whether that is really worth it for just snorkeling. BUT it seems like some people have said the stops at Half Moon Caye, etc. alone make it worthwhile. We could also add a trip to Mexico Rocks, or to Caye Caulkner, which sounds nice. Anything else that would be good to think about either in the area or an easy to do day trip?

I am interested in snorkeling or going to a beach, walking around towns, ruins, etc...not too picky. And as far as budget goes, the Blue Hole trip is pushing it a bit, would really prefer something $100 or less. It's me and my boyfriend going, but he is letting me plan >:)

Would very much appreciate the advice, thanks everyone!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: activities in and around San Pedro

The Blue Hole trip is a long, expensive day. It wouldn't be worth it to me, but, obviously, it is to others. You'll leave before 7am, won't make it back to San Pedro before 5pm. At least US$200.00, and that's for snorkelers.

You could consider a combined snorkel/sail/trip to Caye Caulker. We went on the Lady Leslie this past winter, very nice catamaran and crew. Stopped at Hol chan and Shark Ray to snorkel. Then, on to Caulker for lunch. Lunch was on your own, had a couple hours to wander around Caulker. It was a lovely day.

We live a mile south of town when we're on the island. We really enjoy taking the water taxi several miles north and bar hopping/walking back to town. We stop for lunch somewhere along the way. If you like to walk it's a great way to see the island and the resorts. You could also do it on bikes or by golf cart, but, with a cart you won't be able to be on the beach.

San Jose, California
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: activities in and around San Pedro

Thanks so much! I'm leaning toward agreeing with you on skipping the Blue Hole for now, it seems a bit much for what it is. I think the sail/snorkel trip that you mentioned would be perfect for us, I'm looking into that now. Also like your recommendation for walking or biking around, that sounds fun. Thanks!!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
194 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: activities in and around San Pedro

I would second the suggestion about skipping the Blue Hole. There is so much to so around San Pedro. We really enjoyed the full day manatee watching tour. In addition to the manatees, you make a couple of snorkle stops, have a great lunch prepared for you and stop briefly at Caye Caulker. All drinks including water, soft drinks, beer and rum punch were included. I would also suggest taking an evening crocodile tour with ACES. We had a really good time with Cherie and Vince. You can also arrange a fishing/snorkle/beach BBQ tour. Lots of options

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: activities in and around San Pedro

Seaduced Beach barbecue at Robles point is a nice way to go north by boat and get some beach time in Bacalar Chico area.

San Jose, California
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: activities in and around San Pedro

Thanks! Manatees and crocodile watching sounds exciting! Appreciate the ideas :)

San Jose, California
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: activities in and around San Pedro

Awesome, that sounds perfect...thank you :)

7. Re: activities in and around San Pedro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro
Recent Conversations