We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort?

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
47 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Which resort?

Hi, we are trying to plan a trip to Belize in June. There will be four of us, so need one room with a king/queen and one room with two twins. We have never been to Belize, but here are some of the things we would like at the resort....nice beach, swim up bar in a nice pool, snorkeling, maybe diving, restaurant, nice rooms. Please throw some suggestions at me! I only know a couple people who have gone to Belize and they recommended Banana Beach and Grand Caribe. Thanks!

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
47 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort?

I should also say that being close to other restaurants would be good too. Thanks!

Placencia
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort?

Have you also consider Placencia or Hopkins? Chabil Mar in Placencia has some beautiful 2 bedroom villas.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,679 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which resort?

There are lots of properties with two bedrooms that have the bedding options you want.

Swim up bars can be harder to come by.

What kind of budget are you looking at? Do you want to be walking distance to town, or, are you willing to rent a golf cart or take water taxis back and forth?

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
47 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which resort?

We would be willing to rent a golf cart...sounds kinda fun! :) I think we want to be on Amerbris Caye. No real budget yet, we'll look at all options. Thanks!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,679 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which resort?

From south to north, although, I'm not sure all will have a twin bed option.

Pelican Reef, about three miles south of town, last mile isn't paved. If there's been a lot of rain, it will be really muddy. I think they do have a swim up bar. Not much in the way of bar restaurants close by. A few hundred yards up the beach from there is Athens Gate. Same developer/builder as Pelican Reef. Newer building.

Just north of there is Tranquility Beach. Units are privately owned and rented. Very reasonably priced.

Sunset Beach and Caribe Island are along there as well. Condo properties, not really resorts.

Same with Tara del Sol.

Victoria House is a full service resort about two miles south of town. Beautiful property. Two pools. On site bar and restaurant. Not sure if they can meet your needs as far as beds go.

Banana Beach is maybe 1 1/2 miles south of town. Decent property. Restaurant/bar on site. Cheaper than many other options. Not a great beach.

Grand Colony is a nice condo development next door.

North of there is Banyan Bay. Another full service with resort with two bedroom units.

North of there is Xanadu. Nice, jungly property. No restaurant on site, but, by now you're maybe 1 1/4 miles from town, and, there are several restaurants in the neighborhood.

Caribbean Villas is next. Another moderately priced property that may meet your needs. Smallish pool. Nice pool bar.

Corona del Mar and Exotic Caye are next. By now you're less than a mile from town.

Right in town, there's Ramon's, which is mostly just hotel rooms, but on a nice stretch of beach. Next door is the Palms. Nice condos, and you can use the beach at Ramon's. They also have a pool, but, it's smallish.

The Phoenix is on the north side of town. Luxe property. Nearby is Paradise Villas. Older property, will be cheaper.

Oasis del Caribe are nice condos north of there, but, south of the bridge.

That's most of the properties south of the bridge. There are others, those are the ones that came to mind that I know have two bedroom units.

I'll leave north of the bridge, which I am much less familiar with for another post.

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
47 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which resort?

Thank you for the great info...I will check these out!

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,444 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which resort?

Grand Caribe has a nice swim up pool bar if that is high priority, so does the The Landings at Tres Cocos. http://www.grandcaribebelize.com/ and http://landingstrescocos.com/villasdelrio.php

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,857 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which resort?

You will not find a "nice beach" in this area. Not like you may have seen in other places in the Caribeans. And you will not do snorkeling off the beach, you need to go on a tour.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,719 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which resort?

We have not gone on our trip yet so take tht s a disclaimer. I assume there are kids because of the twin beds? We will be at Belizean Shores and their upper level suites have a loft area with twin beds in addition to the bedroom and living space downstairs.

Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Which resort?

We just returned from a week at Captain Morgan's on the north side of Ambergris. Three smaller pools, two with swim ups and a very attentive staff. Not a bad place, but the room had some issues. We were able to use kayaks and snorkel gear for free from the hotel and it was a fairly short paddle to a set of bouys inside the reef with good snorkeling.

We walked a lot and spent some time at the pool at CoCo Beach which is two properties north. Probably the best pool layout I have seen. Really nice, but the bartenders were a bit quirky. This is definately a nice looking, feeling place. New, clean, modern.

White Sands Cove resport is much more intimate and a bit further walk south from CM. small pool, great location in terms of other places to walk to eat, and it is south of the major issues with the road making a drive to town on a golf cart doable. Doris at the bar is great and our dinner there was awesome.

We had three teenageers with us and found Ambergris to be great!