We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I bring vodka, in my check baggage, through customs?

Ocean Shores...
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Can I bring vodka, in my check baggage, through customs?

I hear vodka is very costly, can I bring vodka, through customs, on my way to A.C.?

plymouth
Level Contributor
45 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I bring vodka, in my check baggage, through customs?

I've been to told to purchase your vodka or whatever hard liquor you want at the Belize airport before taking your shuttle over to Ambergris. It is much cheaper there. I plan on buying my vodka and tequila but beer is cheaper on the island at the distributors - which the person we're renting from will pick up for us.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,489 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I bring vodka, in my check baggage, through customs?

If you have to have a specific brand of liquor, I'd bring it with you. I *think* you can bring in one liter duty free, but, not positive.

The brands available at the incoming duty free seems to vary trip to trip.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I bring vodka, in my check baggage, through customs?

I'd just buy at the inbound duty free at the Belize airport. You can purchase up to 4 bottles per person, and you 'll save a ton over buying it on the island.

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I bring vodka, in my check baggage, through customs?

DrFeelAwesome, the limit is now 4 liters or 6 - 1.5 liter bottles per person. Ask me if my husband has 12 bottles stashed in my cupboard :~)

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,489 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I bring vodka, in my check baggage, through customs?

i'm still saying if you 'need' a specific brand of a specific liquor, you had best bring a bottle along. Sometimes there's no Stoli vodka. Sometimes there's no Zacapa rum.

Or, just pay island prices.

Edited: 06 January 2014, 20:59
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I bring vodka, in my check baggage, through customs?

Why not conserve jet fuel and drink locally?

Check out One Barrel rum, made in Belize and available everywhere.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
31 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I bring vodka, in my check baggage, through customs?

We just went through the fire drill of buying booze at the duty free. We bought absolut and crown at very very low prices. It's right next to the baggage claim and very easy to do.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
31 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I bring vodka, in my check baggage, through customs?

We did the same thing about a month ago, and they had everything we happened to be looking for (Ketel 1, Mount Gay) and at prices a bit lower than at home, but MUCH less expensive than anything we saw on Ambergris Caye...not that we were looking. My one suggestion would be to throw in a couple of reusable shopping bags or similar as they made the several bottle load much easier to handle and seemingly more secure for the Tropic Air flight than the plastic bags provided by duty free.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I bring vodka, in my check baggage, through customs?

Just reading your message regarding reusable bags for multiple bottles. My husband and I plan to max out on our wine allowance, which near as I can tell will be 12 bottles total. I'm reading conflicting things regarding the flight from BZE to SP. Will we have to put all 12 bottles in our checked luggage, or will Tropic Air (kindly) store in the cabin for us? I can't imagine checking 12 bottles in luggage and having it survive. Any advice/info. would be welcomed! Thanks.

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I bring vodka, in my check baggage, through customs?

Your 12 bottles will have to go into your checked bags as there is zero cabin storage space on the Tropic planes. Leave a little room in your bags and bring a few sheets of bubble wrap.

Get answers to your questions about San Pedro
Recent Conversations