We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine...ship it to room from California or buy duty free.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
321 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Wine...ship it to room from California or buy duty free.

Has anyone sent anything to AC and if so how expensive was it and how long until arrival of package? I am a wine drinker and am afraid the high prices there may bum me out. How much for a descent bottle of Merlot or Cab? What is the savings at duty free?? How many bottles per person flying to the island??

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine...ship it to room from California or buy duty free.

Contact Premium Wines and Wine Da Vine on San Pedro for rates

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,264 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine...ship it to room from California or buy duty free.

I would not ship anything to Belize with a specific arrival date in mind. Odds of it being there upon your arrival are slim. I'm guessing the cost and duty charges will make it much more expensive than just buying it here.

I just read yesterday that each person can purchase six bottles at the in coming duty free store in Belize City.

Selection is quite variable though. I don't drink wine, no idea of cost, other than duty free is much cheaper.

Mentioned in this post
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,685 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine...ship it to room from California or buy duty free.

My friend who is a wine drinker stops at Duty free every time she comes and gets a few bottles. She says the price there is definitely good compared to the island.

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine...ship it to room from California or buy duty free.

Last week the incoming duty free had only a single wine... Chilean Cab ~ 12$US. In my experience, the wine selection is never, ever good.

My suggestion is to download the Hot Guide mobile app which has a coupon bar code for 20% off at Premium Wines on Front Street SP. They have some very nice South American and European wines at decent prices ~ 18$US before discount. The prices are a bit higher for California and Australian wine. Premium also offers free delivery in town.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
321 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine...ship it to room from California or buy duty free.

Right on thanks everyone. Maybe I will get lucky at duty free! If not the $20.00 range is doable. After some of the posts I read I thought it was much worse than that!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,028 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine...ship it to room from California or buy duty free.

You can't just ship alcohol into a country like that, there are duty restrictions. You are only allowed to bring one liter.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine...ship it to room from California or buy duty free.

Inbound duty free! I just had friends come, and they all got 6 bottles each. Salud!

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine...ship it to room from California or buy duty free.

Well....I met a good friend in Belize who lives there and I took a picture of him and his little boy. I framed it and sent it to him in Belize. Mind you it was a 8 by 10 light plastic frame with a photo. That alone was almost $30 dollars to ship. Now wine? Much heavier, and probably without a doubt much more expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
9. Re: Wine...ship it to room from California or buy duty free.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 05:15